Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Austin, Pennsylvania 6 Miles of Buried Treasure!

Austin is a great place to hunt. Today it is only a shell of its former self. I couldn't resist posting these pictures of Kayden and his find. He got out of the van and said he wanted to just test his detector. No sooner did the coil hit the ground than he had a signal. I was photographing when he looked at me and said, "it's only a penny; I'm not going to dig it". I replied, "It might be an Indian Head". So Kayden dug the target and found ?????

He pulled it from the dirt and said, "What the heck is this"?

We're still razzing him about it. Boy we've gotten a lot of mileage out of this series of photos!

I cant wait till spring to walk that creek......Theres gotta be some coins in there!

Hello Lil' Treasure Hunting Buddy,

You KNEW I couldn't leave those pictures out. That was THE highlight of the year. If I was writing a magazine that would be the cover photo! Gas to get to Austin $50, Metal Detector $600, The look on Kayden's face when he realized it was a hooch pipe.......
$$$$ Priceless $$$$. :rofl:

Get em quick its gonna be nice & in the 40s starting sunday!

Had a cabin not far from Austin for 20 years. Detected those Austin grounds quite a bit over the years but just never found much of value. I agree that it is likely much deeper than my Explorer could find. It would be cool to take a ground penetrating radar machine there, but i don't have a spare $20-30k to purchase one. Might pay for itself if you could find some of the lost safes though. Thanks for posting the pics, it brings back good memories of good ole Austin and Costello.

HH

Hello Steelhead,

Ahh...Beautiful country up there in Potter County.
We were finding bricks in uprooted trees that were pulled from about 2 feet deep. I figure with the specific gravity of gold and silver that it would have settled deeper. There's also a lot of iron. I spoke with Ron at the historical society and he said that whenever something of value is found it's generally when they are doing excavating.

My thoughts on the missing safes are that some were taken by the towns folk after the flood, others may have completely melted in the fire and others were buried in foundations that they fell into. There is a story floating around the Internet about how some guys flew in and looked around and claimed that they found the 7 ft tall Bayless safe under the concrete slab of an electrical substation. We debunked that story. There are 2 substations and both are on gravel with only a couple very small pads under a transformer. The substations are also fenced in so nobody has detected inside the chainlink fence.

When you're standing there, you think about the tragedy. They were only able to identify about 78 of the dead. The town had about 3,000 prior to the flood. Immediately after there were less than 1,000. Bodies were in the rubble at the edge of town that was stacked 30-50 feet high. The following day it was on fire and burned for a long time. Other skeletons were found for years downstream. Other people just left. We'll never know the true extent of the tragedy; and Mr. Bayless said that they should just be happy that they still had jobs.....he was never prosecuted. It was the 3rd Bayless Dam that had broken. :stretcher:

Well...that's my 2 cents worth.
Hope you like the new forum well enough to stop back in.
We have a lot of new things in the works.

:beers:
Cheers
H.Charles Beil
Treasure Writer