Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back from my relic hunt....

Scott Maine

First off the snow in most areas was deeper than we hoped for....last snow storm dumped 3 inches in some areas and 7 inches in others. But not to fret...the weekend will be warmer and some rain on the way.
first spot we hit was in the woods a litle way off from a garrison. Soil had no Fe reading and had a phase of 74 or so.
Now nothing came out of this area that was real deep either with my T2 or with my friends Explorer. What I did notice was that the t is sensitive to small targets. I spent too much time digging bucksot at first. This should hold promise to you part time nugget guys.
Nothing of significance came out of this area for finds...depth or anything else.
I did notice one wart right off. The pinpoint sensitivity is tied into whichever mode you are in. If you are in Disc the pinpoint sens is tied to that. if you hunt in All metal than the pinpoint sens is relative to that and the sound is different too.
In Disc the pinpoint is way too sensitive and broad...reminds me of pinpointing with a teknetics ST. However I found the easiest way to deal with this was to thumb the knob to all metal and pinpoint that way if I was having issues pinpointing in disc. Right off I would like to see them just have the pinpoint tied into the all metal mode and sens. reason is I hunt with Disc sens at max but All metal sens at like mid point.
That is a real bugger in trash trying to pinp[oint in disc with disc sens up. Basically I think the pinpoint in disc mode sucks super bad. So we will call that a melanoma....it is a real pain. However I will just quickly thumb to all metal and pinpoint that way.
Other than that the T ran fine at the first location. Sens was at max with no falsing....which I als wish they would adjust the T2 so at max it just starts to false...how else will I know I am at max sensitivity for a location if I can just fnd the unstable point and the back down a tad.
After that I went on my own to my favorite field to test iron handling ability.
This was a very favorable result. Iron handling ability was in the top group of machines I have used in years. Very good..very stable...and almost no false high coin hits.
Now I did get a few deep high coin hits that turned to iron hits when cross swept 90 degrees off from the coin hit. These produced old square nails that were bent which is a classic bugger for all machines. Even my Nautilus will ID them as a coin like target even if cross swept.
As for ox shoes.....which is my bottlecap dilema....the T2 did well here too.
Ox shoes will Id as coin when swept dead center but bounce and as you start to come off center it drops to iron. These were easy to tell...so easy I ID'ed them correctly even the first time before I dug one.
Now as for depth....well no opinion as nothing deep deep came up. Most anythng I dug was 8" or less and that is not abnormal. 85% of our relics come from 8" or less and the last few from 8-12". Plus I am detecting with 4-5" of snow on the ground.
Now some of the things I noticed real quick is the T2 has a fast recovery time and is great in trash...which is what I need. So target seperation is in the top of the field.
Target masking is similar to the Mark 1. In that I am talking about say a coin right next to or under a nail. Here the T2 is just average. No see through ability in iron that I could see.....however if a coin is just off of a nail then it will seperate that very well. Again this is very similar to the Mark 1.
All metal mode was very deep however I noticed that disc would ID targets deeper than All Metal.....kinda odd....but I don't realy care. Just an observation.
Now from a mechanical aspect I do have some issues. the T 2 suffers Tesoro-itus....or pole wobble. It apears that the wobble feeling is coming from the handgrip area. It is not welded on as it is plastic so it is a two piece clamshell thing and needs to be trashed and replaced with a sturdier version. The whole handgrip/display is flimsy and I believe this will fail for me in the not too distant future especially in the woods with a plethera of brambles to snag on. This is the only realy poor quality item noted today....and I am surprised they made it that way but then again for a person who hunts a city park they would not have to deal with that. But us bushwackers will be breaking this flimsy arangement with regularity it would seem.
The actual pole assembly is decent but not awesome. the lower fiber pole has too much flex and is slightly annoying. It will be raplced with a Whites lower rod or a Tesoro within days.
The metal portion of the poles is fine as is the armrest.
The coil is good..not too big as it appeared in the adds.
Overall it was just fine with just a few SNAFU's...but that is constant with every machine it seems. The overal quality of the machine is good...it would be great had it not been for the flimsy handle thing.
So for day one it is still a positive experience. Wish i dug a coin at 10" but they are not that common and I know...I use a Nautilus here.
Scott

This was good but kind of odd. I found I could get a bit more depth and betetr ID on deep targets if I swept the coil like a Whites ...real fast.....go figure...it is a 2 filter machine.....:)

I had not noticed the handgrip from looking at the pictures, but now I see what you mean. No way to tighten it up enough to lessen the wobble?
Good to hear about the nails and ox shoes. I have an Xterra 50 and the iron "wrap around" effect on the discriminator is very hard to deal with, at least for me.

Good report scott... nice to get some views of the t2 from different parts of the country and different conditions. The good, bad or ugly is always great, as we all know that none are perfect. but it gives us the info to decide if we can still be a happy camper and know the good or the bad before we buy them. sounds like it has alot of strong points but just a couple weak points, which ain't bad....

HH don