Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to the woods and more old finds.

hunter_46356

Second trip to the place I recently found the Draped Bust LC. Working w the Etrac and SEF 6x8 this time it was alot easier to deal with the nails. Right away started hitting shotshell heads. 11 in all or so I thought. Most were 12 GA and a couple 20s. Briefly looked some of them up on Turtleheads Data base and most are from the early to mid 1900's. On cleaning up what I thought was a 410 head I noticed it had no center primer. Smashed pretty good I took a better look and after some measuring (the best I could for the condition) I think what I've got is an old 56-56 Spencer case. A very short rimfire rifle round. In the center where you normally find the primer appears what I think is a "V" and looking closer around the rim I found a pretty distinct squarish dent that I think was from the firing pin. After some looking Navy Arms did produce 56-56 Spencer Rounds and marked them with a "V" Cant seem to find a date window of production as of yet. Also found a junk ring and what looks like a metal piece that you'd put on the toe or heal of a shoe. Any Experts on old rimfire cartridges out there please chime in.

I'd like to apologize to our prominent member and shotshell expert " Turtlefoot" In my opening post I unintentionally referred to him as Turtlehead. Respectfully..... not what I meant at all.

It looks to me that the way that rimfire case is squooshed in such a way that you can probably get a fair reading of its length.

If it is about .875, you've found a Spencer 56-56.

295px-56-56_Spencer.JPG

I agree. I did my best to mic the case length and crushed as bad as it is, it measures close to your dim. I also mic'd the rim baseand it falls every close to the Spencer round. Being there are not many old rimfire cartridges that fall within the measurements I came up with it should be a 56-56 Spencer. Also being retrieved at between 7" and 8" while most all of the shotshell heads were found at around 4" to 5" leads me to believe it" may" be older.