Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

backphones not covered by the warranty !

targets

my backphones have parted at the flimsy joint where they fold and i am told by the dealer where i bought them that they are not covered for repair under warranty .the design is very poor and they wont stand much folding as the plastic joint and pin is very fragile .
something to watch out for as a new pair is expensive .
i am not happy about this as over a long time they are bound to break with certainty due to the flimsy design .

Xp Deus replacement backphones headband are 19 dollars in America, i dont see them being expensive at all..:confused:

better buy a six pack then as you will need plenty over the years to replace them regularly...
they are as flimsy as can be

even if you buy a replacement centre section you still have to take it apart by pulling out the pin to get the single wire inside and then replace the pin after, all of which will weaken the plastic joint as the whole assembly is very fragile .
not what you expect on a expensive 1400 pound machine .

targets said:
even if you buy a replacement centre section you still have to take it apart by pulling out the pin to get the single wire inside and then replace the pin after, all of which will weaken the plastic joint as the whole assembly is very fragile .
not what you expect on a expensive 1400 pound machine .

What the heck are you talking about, just take the control unit and buy the replacement headband, clip the control unit in place and voila, you are good to go.

http://www.metaldetectorshop.co.uk/shopping_cart/images/uploads/deus/XPD096.jpg

I have had my Deus around 1 year and the headphones are almost good as new, i have handled them with utmost care and so far so good.

Hi guys please remember that these are backphones not headphones and are designed for fitting as such.

ie From the back of the neck forward so that the headband is not over stretched.

One good idea is to place a very tiny blob of adhesive to the top of the centre hinge pin so that it cant work itself out with long term use.

I hope this helps you folks. :cheers: Jerry.

heyup
i cut two strips of plastic length wise and insulate tapped them either side of the band they will not fold down any more but as you can take the controle off they sit around the neck fine and not lopped sided as when it is on also padded my box out for the controler so it doent jigger about
:thumbup:

I have not found any problems with the backphones. You do have to treat them well, as they are fragile, but so are the knobs and switches on other brands headphones. Metal detecting equipment is sensitive and you do have to treat it well. I think $19 for replacements are a VERY decent price. I have been thinking about ordering some just in case. My headphones go from the case, onto my head and back into the case when I am done. Every time, no exceptions. I see the argument that the headphones are fragile, but they are collapsible and have a case so there is not reason why they should get damaged so long as you treat them well. I think everything for the Deus is built extremely well and as long as you treat your equipment well, I don't see an fault to the design. I hope you get it figured out but I don't know of any headphones that you can get fixed, never mind replaced for $19 and there is no manufacturer, that I know of, that will warranty an item that was damaged by the user. HH -Marc

also another thing that is well worth getting as an extra is another charge clip just incase anything happens to the first one :)

ananda, I was also thinking about that, and a spare charge cable as I seem to have bent one slightly in travel when I forgot to disconnect it from the charge clip. Something put pressure on the cable connection and slightly bent the end. Still works fine but looks like a bit more pressure and it may have been damaged. Don't forget to disconnect the charge clip from the cable while traveling, that's all I can recommend for that. Good post ananda. HH -Marc

n/t

i have handled mine with the utmost care as well ,but the plastic hinge is just less than 1mm thick and is easily broken .
if you buy a replacement head band you just unscrew the cross head screws and replace ,BUT the wire that runs from one side to the other runs behind the centre pin ,and the wire covering gets bent about this point and is showing signs of fracture .
all heads are of different sizes and these backphones will only suit those with small head sizes .
as they are so fragile i also handle them like a box of eggs but they have broken ,because they have no structural integrity and are of poor design .i know 2 buddies who have also had to get them repaired because of the same fault.

For the price of this machine there souldn't be any issues with the backphones. Hopefully if there are enough complaints the company will adress the problem. What's nice about not having a dedicated set of backphones/headphones is that I buy lots of headphones at garage sales and flea markets. Good quality ones, so I have a lot of backup sets that work on any of my detectors just fine. The reason I find them at lots of garages sales is that people used to use headphones on their component stero systems. Now they just use those ear buds on their mp3 players.

there have been many complaints about the flimsy backphones but the company just take not notice ,theyre rubbish considering the cash you layout on a new machine .its a common problem in the UK .
when you lay them out you can see they will only fit a narrow small head without exerting even minor pressure on the flimsy plastic joint which will snap as the plastic lugs are less than a mm in width with a small pin piercing thru the joint ..
the thin wire that crosses the headband in a groove will also eventually break due to the folding of the phones to put them in the storage box. you cant keep folding such a thin single core wire without the sheath and core eventually breaking .
apart for that i have no complaints about the deus

I've been following this thread and finally decided to put in my nickel's worth.

My Deus came with a spare set of backphones (do they all?) and I remember the caution with the instructions to treat them gently. I've actually only had them in the case one time while travelling. I keep my set open and draped on the Deus. Definitely not a gentle treatment. In 16 months I've used my Deus at least 300 days and I've had zero problems.

The little pin started coming out a bit and I just pushed it back in flush with the flat of a screwdriver. I like the backphones...a LOT... for their lightness and simplicity. When XP comes out with over the ear type I will most likely buy those also..just as an alternate.

So..anyways..perhaps try buying a replacement and NOT folding it up. I've had great success with my backphones.

Regards, Joe (California)

Thank you for your input Joe. This thread has been bothering me as I don't think it represents what you should expect with the backphones. I have had zero problems and I know many others that have had zero problems. I think the backphones are a great design. I agree that they were not built like a tank, but then they wouldn't cost $19 to replace. I think XP's decision to make them in a way that they can be cheaply replaced was a good one. I say it again, I don't know of any manufacturer that will replace a product that was damaged by the consumer and I don't know why people expect handouts for something that they broke. I take care of my gear and when I break something, I replace it at my cost.

Targets- The good news for you is XP will be releasing a solid pair of headphones, the type that you are used to with other brands. They will surely be more durable. Sounds like these would be a better fit for you

Come on people, lets drop this thread, we are beating a dead horse over $19. Targets, I am sorry that the build quality of the backphones is not what you expected. XP listens when people give feedback, maybe you could try writing them with your opinion. If you do, please let us know how they respond.

Lets close this one up. This case represents a complete minority experience and we have beaten it to death.

HH -Marc