Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bad 1270 bad.

A

Anonymous

I am so upset. I spent all this time hunting this park where I thought the soil was good and wasn't finding much of anything just new clad and nothing below 4 inches. I then buried a test dime at 8" and the 1270 did not so much as click or pop. I had my iron disc on at about 6. I then moved the dime to 6 inches still nothing, then up to 4 inches and finally just barely picked it up. I went to all metal and could pick up the 4 inch dime with the coil about 6 inches off the ground. Forget about normal disc I can't pick up anything deep with that. So how am I supposed to find old coins if I can't even pick up a clad dime at 5 inches. No wonder I haven't found anything old since I've had this machine. I only hope the 10.5 inch coil helps. As deep as every one says the 1270 goes I am surprised at my results. Yea it's deep as sin in all metal but if I don't want to relic hunt what good is that gonna do me? Maybe someone can help me. Am I hunting bad soil and not knowing it, or is my detector a lemon? HELP!!

Buck, you can't bury a test dime at 8" and pick it up with too many machines, if any. Part of what happens when a coin is in the ground for decades is that it gets a "halo" around it, a "charge" that makes it more detectable. It's actually a byproduct of the leeching out of metal as the soil works on the object and it slowly breaks down and reacts with the surrounding soil. Freshly buried coins don't have that and do not detect well at depth. The best thing you can do is to crank the sensitivity up as high as you can without falsing or instability, sweep slowly, and keep your coil flat on the ground. Listen for the deep ones. You may be sweeping too fast. Or there may not be any deep ones there. Have others found silver coins there?

I havent talked to anyone who has been there before but it is a really old area right next to an old palace for a Hawaiian queen. Maybe the soil in Hawaii has iron in it and cancles out the coins? The soil wasnt red there though. Oh well I guess I will keep trying and trying but i'm loosing interest fast.

Buck,
Sounds to me like you have a serious mineralization problem. Check the ground balance by turning the disc knob to zero and bobbing the coil (use the normal disc mode not the iron disc). I'd bet you get a loud response when the coil is lowered to the ground. The big coil will only make it worse.
The preset ground balance in disc mode is the only complaint I have about the 1270. The factory GB setting is negative in my mild ground but a liottle tweak on the internal trimmer solved that.
Tom

Sorting out the posts..are there deep coins to be found, how bad is your mineralization, do you have it set up properly, as Mike states if coins are deep and have been in the ground for years your tests burying new coins won't tell you much..Last but not least you may have a faulty machine and a trip to the factory may be the problem..From input received I understand a 1270 will go as deep as a 1266 and as far as I am concerned the 1266 is one of the deepest on the planet although a very noisy machine...These above issues must be addressed as indeed a 1270 is a deepseeking unit..

Tom I think you have something here. Yesterday I poured some potting soil in a plastic bucket and placed a quarter on top of it and got an 11 to 13 inch response but when I put it on the regular hawaiian soil I could barely get 6 inches. Its like the soil fools the discriminatorl. Also at that park when I held the coil still on the ground I was noticing that the machine was churping and clicking a-lot but when I moved it around the noises stopped, weird! I will try the zero disc method. If ground is the case how would I adjust R1 inside the unit. Should I turn it untill I get no ground response in norm disc with disc at 0 using the bobbing method?
Tom, you da man!

I would not go for a completely neutral response, leave it a little positive. Adjusting the trimmer counterclockwise 15 to 20 degress should get you close. Don't overdue the adjusting, 20 degress is not much of a turn.
Tom

It's just a fraction past 4 on GB dial in all metal. I just went outside and tested in norm disc with 0. and Got a loud response when lowering it to ground

Buck,
Try it in a few different spots just to be sure you weren't over any metal. With it acting the way it is it may be hard to tell if there is metal under the coil.
I'm really surprised it balances at 4 in all metal..Is it possible the trimmer has been adjusted before?
Anyway, Good luck!
Tom

I got it new. 4 is where it balances no doubt about it. I noticed that fisher had #1 pot already turned up to almost full clockwise just about 1/16 of a turn back from full. Is this normal? Where should I be balanceing? Also I couldn't get it to balance worth a darn by moving pot 1 CCW. I wonder if the tector is a lemon?

Buck,
I have no idea of where it should end up on the pots so I can't tell you if it is normal or not. I never turned mine more than about 30 degrees in either direction.
Fisher adjusts the trimmer to ferrite in all metal mode with the knob set around 3 o'clock if that helps.
Tom