Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Batteries for 3300

Skyhawk

I just got the Discovery 3300 and love it.

Any suggestions for rechargeable batteries? Nimh or NiCad?

Thanks for any help>

Nimh has been in production so long that prices are low, and the milliamp ratings can be very high if you want the reserve.
From what I recall NIMH & Nicad are both 1.2 volts
and stay at that voltage a very long time. Alkaline are 1.5 volts and once alkaline batteries discharge to 50% capacity, it's delivering a lower voltage than a rechargeable.
The problem with Nicads is they can develop a memory (at a certain point where a good charge remains--they stop discharging) and they have a tendency to reverse polarity too.
(Some units when switching from alkaline to rechargeables need more rechargeables to work--a ML Sovereign is this way.)
In the end NIMHs are a better deal than alkaline because they can be charged around 1000X. A good "smart charger" is inexpensive and will even work with alkalines (set them aside after
though to see if they leak. Also another variety, Rechargeable Alkalines (RAM) -- higher voltage + long shelf life. But have a short cycle life (can't be charged as many times as a real rechargeable) Capacity (and sometimes voltage) is reduced on every cycle. Doesn't work in high-drain devices
Do NOT recharge acid types like Hvy Duty as ever time I've tried they leaked. All rechargeables lose their charge over time through self-discharge even when not in a device. This can be up to 30% per month. So a battery is never fully charged when you go to use it , unless you keep it on constant trickle charge. Newer type NiMh batteries hold a charge for longer,( Low Self-Discharge) LSD. version; lithium-ion cells have very low self-discharge, ( and alkalines will store the charge a long time too.) and not available in standard voltage, except for 9V size (AAA, AA, C, and D-size Li-ion put out 3.7V instead of 1.5V.) You better have a voltage regulator or some circuits may be fried.
I cannot say that Nicad/NiMH will not leak, I've just never seen it happen. (Steer clear of some Chinese types because they seldom live up to advertising; batteries here have a guarantee that
if they leak they will repair or replace----foreign batteries may be a different proposition altogether.)
A newer type is NiZn (Nickel-Zinc) that has higher voltage (1.65V+); if you use a high drain device these might be good, but a voltage regulator may be necessary to protect electronics.
*** Whites does offer NiMH chargers.

Vlad, Thank you very much for the great information.

Question, Do think Li-ion Batteries are comparable to the NiMh batteries?

Better--they charge quicker, last longer; it comes down to whether you are willing to pay the difference. :shrug:

I use EBL Lithium rechargeable 600 mAh batteries. They last longer then NiMh.