Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bearkat......Your Thoughts On Weight?

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Although the total weight of the ATX is calculated at 5.5 lbs. (2.5 kgs.) and feels like it when all compacted up, I found that with the coil extended, the unit is quite ergonomic. The design of the unit actually turns it into a straight rod, shifting much of the weight from your elbow to your shoulder, a much stronger configuration of bones, muscle and tendons. Although the package included a Garrett Detector Sling, and Steve highly recommended I use it, I still haven't attached it to my ATX. I had hunted in one lake for seven hours straight in August for test purposes, and found my scoop arm much more sore. I doubt very much that I could have done it with a common "S" rod. With the coil extended the proper length for me (5" 10" and probably shrinking) the unit was nicely balanced, to the point where it would nicely float on my fingers at the proper angle for hunting. My fingers were not fatigued by having to squeeze the hand grip where the controls are located. That in itself was a bonus. My right arm, which I scoop with, tends to get carpel tunnel every year in the fall from overuse.

Hi John, yes indeed the ATX felt better than the Infinium with the S shaft. My forearm seems to be where a lot of the weight was disbursed at first, then I just tighted the arm strap a bit and was fine. If I did get a bit fatigued then I just switched arms for a few minutes...Very steep country I detect in and arm fatigue can happen even with the AT Gold. I will however give the swing strap a try.

The good thing about this design is the ability to make the shaft as short as you want to on the fly. I only had two of the 3 shafts out when I was going up steep ravines and it was very nice. Going back down hill I made it longer...no coil cable to worry about. Can do it in about 5 seconds. I hunted 5 hours one day, and 4 the next...no big deal. I just like the extra power this thing has! More videos coming soon!!!

Bearkat

WTF...where did my video post go? Why were they deleted? Geez

bearkat4160

Those were great videos.

Those type of videos are going to help sell the ATX, as I was impressed to "actually the see" how small it could hit on those gold pieces out in the field.

For me personally bearkat4160, thanks for sharing it, this is "exactly" what I'm looking for to help me make the decision in buying one.

:)

Thanks Night Crawler, more vids coming soon! :cheers:

Edit: Looks like the vids were deleted again...oh well. Just got to Youtube you will find them.

Bearkat

Under 3.0 lbs = Very Light Weight
3.0 - 3.99 lbs = Light Weight
4.0 - 4.99 lbs = Medium Weight
5.0 lbs plus = Heavy Weight

The ATX is a Heavy Weight detector at 5.5 lbs. however, so are others in its class. The TDI Pro weighs 5.6 lbs and it is not even waterproof. Balance makes up for a lot, and the ATX is well balanced. But the fact remains, you pick it up, it is heavy.

I use another heavy detector, the Minelab GPX 5000, for 12 hour plus days. And surprisingly it puts less strain on me than most lighter detectors. The secret is the harness and bungee system, which takes the weight off your arm. I will try the Garrett sling out but frankly my intent is to also try a Minelab Pro-Swing harness to see how it does. I think that will be the answer for using the ATX for 12 hour days in rough terrain.

I think you will like the feel of the ATX Steve. The adjustable arm rest helps also. Just feels like a quality product in my hand.

Bearkat

bearkat4160 said:
I think you will like the feel of the ATX Steve. The adjustable arm rest helps also. Just feels like a quality product in my hand.

Bearkat

I have no doubt if that, and I am sure I will be able to use it without harness or sling for lots of things. However, I did get tendonitis once by ignoring detector strain and will not make that mistake again!

Thanks for your efforts on the videos. Good stuff.

Yea I have not yet felt the need for using the strap...just still doing the switch arm method for now.
Thanks for the thanks regarding the videos...

I got to hunt for a couple of hours yesterday with my ATX. I found that with it extended to the proper length and by using the arm cuff strap, most of the weight is felt in your shoulder rather than the forearm. I did not find it to be too uncomfortable. At the end of my hunt, I tried the bungee strap and played with it at different adjustments. When I got it adjusted to what seemed to work best for me, the ATX felt as light or maybe lighter to swing that the AT-Pro with the 5 X 8 DD coil. From my so far limited experience, I will most likely not use the bungee strap until I need to rest my arm and shoulder and when rested revert back to no strap. But I can also just switch hands.