Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Been playing with Auto-Tune

H2OAU

Now that the CZ 21 is back from repair the auto-tune mode seems to be deeper than discrimination mode. It was just the opposite before repair. I picked up a rusty finishing nail that was maybe a half an inch long down around 10 in at the beach today. I wasn't bothering to flip over to discriminate to see if I was over a good Target as there were few targets anyway so I just dug everything. I could not hit the nail in zero discriminate mode. It might have squawked once or twice trying to find it but just barely. Auto-tune however picked it up no problem. not that I want to make a habit of digging nails, but I am interested in seeing how deep the machine is now that it's repaired.

On to another topic. I had been hunting for maybe 20 minutes today when I saw another detectorists coming up the beach fast. He stops by and asks if I have found anything good, I hadn't so I said no, and away he went. Well I had been working a grid around a lifeguard tower down by the water line and when this guy left he stepped right into the end of my grid and began hunting in my line. Fine, whatever, lots of beach here I'll just move 50 yards away. so I move about 50 yards down the beach and begin a new grid. the next thing I know this guy is coming up on my backside again, passes me, steps back into my line and start detecting again!!! Fine! Be that way. So I turn around and walk all the way back to my original grid and pick up where I left off. Okay, this is a joke right? I'm looking around for cameras because I know I'm being punked. This guy is on my butt again jumping my line!!! I had had enough at this point and I approached him. he had been leaving craters all over the beach without filling them in, and in the pile of sand next to one of his many Grand canyons I pulled a nickel, a dime and two pennies. So I went up to him and asked him what exactly he was hunting for. He looked at me strangely like, why is this guy asking me that? I showed him the money, then showed him his crater and the pile of sand I pulled the money out of I told him how I had come by this find. That was the ticket, he just turned around and headed down the beach out of sight, except for all the craters he left behind him as he went. I'm pretty sure he was just jumping in my line in hopes of finding a ring right in front of me with his fancy new detector so he could scream woohoo. I don't know what else to think, cutting someone's line once might be an accident, twice is anything but an accident and three times? yeah no. At least it was me that got to show off the money he was leaving behind. I did end up following in his tracks and filling all his holes down the beach till I was done hunting.

In a nutshell auto-tune seems to cover more area and is useful in an isolated area without much junk.....

Relative your situation probably a local who feels your invading his space....

I've found the CZ's I've had to be just a little deeper detecting in autotune than in discriminate mode. The CZ6A that I keep the FZ-12 coil on for beach work is pretty near to the same depth in discriminate mode as autotune; but on the real deep targets it may give a tone lower (or bounced between two tones) than what the target is when it comes up. If the target is not a very deep one, the tones are spot on.

I don't run across too many detecting jerks on the beach; but there are some out there.

Before I sent the CZ 21 off for repair, discrimination mode was definitely deeper than the Auto-Tune. Buy a couple of inches with the tests I did at the beach using a dime, nickel and a quarter and my wedding band. Now I'm kind of amazed. I pulled that little piece of finishing nail from 10 in deep today, and pulled a full-size Rusty nail the other day at the beach from no kidding, 19 in. At the time I dug that 19in nail I knew the target was junk, I just wanted to see how deep it was. My last scoop Disturbed it in the hole so that I could see the nail right in the center of my hole. I stuck the end of my sand scoop into the hole and marked how deep it was and measured it when I got home. Now I have pulled those two foot aluminum can tops and bottoms just like anybody else but this wasn't a huge nail. Total length of the nail was maybe two in. and there was no doubt as soon as the coil went over the Target that there was definitely something down deep.it wasn't like one of those signals you have to finesse to try to get a repeatable tone off of. I am definitely loving my CZ 21 again.