Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best kHz for coin shooting? 4,8,12,18

rks1040

What is the best KHz for coin shooting? I've read the lower the better for coins. I seem to like the lower kHz since the TID numbers are spread out more,instead of being jammed together,at the top of the scale. I've tried them all on the Deus,and the only thing I can say is,that I've never noticed any difference in target depth,using any of them. I know the higher frequency's will pick up smaller targets,but dose it make any real difference on coins? Also why did they (XP) decide to use the high scale(18 kHz) in ID Norm? To me (anyway) having the target ID's spread out,makes it easier to notch out targets you don't want to hear,and assign the tones to the targets you want to hear.

18kHz is optimized for UK / European hunting where they are looking for mid-low conductive targets (hammered coins, Roman coins, Celtic coins, etc.). In most areas in the US the sensitivity to tiny slivers of aluminum when using the 18kHz frequency is too much of a distraction and makes finding them hard even with a pinpointer.

Most US coin hunters stick with the 8kHz or 12kHz . . . . a matter of personal preference.

The 4kHz is supposed to hit silver better being a lower frequency but there are some options not available which results in that frequency being a bit noisier than the other three are.

There is a difference in detection depth based on the frequency but it will depend on the target composition . . . . and they need to be in-ground to show that impact.

As far as why XP opted to use 18 kHz as the ID NORM value . . . . probably because the users that formed the original base of their users preferred that frequency . . . could they have allowed you to select the frequency to standardize TID values to? Sure . . . . but they drew the line at some point and perfected the changes that had been included in the update

Andy

Thanks,Andy! I've been using 8 kHz,and really like the target separation it gives. It seems to me that the higher I go in frequency the more the targets are grouped together,and "can slaw" really gives me fits! LOL!