Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best small DD coil for GP 3000?

Atlas

Hi all,

I'm running a GP 3000 and have NF 12" E, 14" E, 16" R mono coils. My DD coils are a NF16" R XP and the stock 11" R DD. Really I'm not a coil collector yet I think I need 1 more - that is 6 to qualify :tongue:

I have an area of shallow ground with small gold that the NF 12" E mono mostly kicks butt on but some areas are kind of hot and I have to keep the coil up off the ground a bit. I was thinking a small DD would work good in these areas. I haven't tried the 11DD stock coil in this area yet and I guess I should check that first.

I was thinking that a smaller DD might be the ticket in hot ground or an area with a lot of hot rocks.

The one that has caught my eye right now is the Detech 8" DD round coil. I guess the 10X5 DD commander by minelab would be another option. Coiltek makes a 12x8 DD also I believe. However, the elliptical coils just mentioned seem real close in size to the stock 11" round DD I already have so I'm not sure I gain a lot there. I think Nuggetfinder made some smaller elliptical XP coils a while ago but I can't seem to find much on them or see any for sale. The Detech 8" sounds interesting but I really haven't seen any detailed accounts from the field. Anybody using one?

I've read that with the development of the GPX series everyone went with mono coils and I use them myself most of the time on my 3000. But I have a question about hot rocks. I thought the DD's worked better at tracking out a hot rock with a few passes. At least that has been my experience in a hot rock area with a DD coil. Can the GPX series do this with a mono coil?

Thanks
HH