Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BH Land Ranger design flaw??

SeabeeRon

I am waiting to hear back from Bounty Hunter on my problem, but thought I'd post the issue here.
About a month go I had the cushioned arm support snap of my Land Ranger while swinging at a beach.
Contacted BH and they send a replacement complete upper shaft with out a problem. Now the lower portion of my unit snapped off!!
It broke at the point where the clevis piece that holds the coil goes up into the lower shaft. Those two areas seem to be weak points in the design of the Land Ranger. I have been using this unit since March of this year. Other than those mechanical issues with the design she has been a sweet machine!

I am hoping to hear back from Bounty Hunter soon so I can get back out there swinging!! At the same time I am investigating getting a 2nd detector so I always have a back-up unit.

Never heard of the arm cup snapping but the lower stems on lots of detector models break. just depends on your style of hunting. Hopefully your back in business soon.
jeff

I hunt mostly the dry sand area of our beaches, and I do "sweep" the sand with the coil to get the most bang for my buck. :rolleyes: Probably accumulated stess at the point where the plastic piece enters the lower metal tube.:shrug:
Honest, it's not a case like a golfer wrapping his 9 iron around a tree! :heh:

I have had the same thing happen to both of my tracker IV's. I simply bought a second hand minelab XT17000 arm rest for one machine which lasted for 3 yrs before breaking only a fortnight ago. I now use the original arm rests, which I have attached by using stainless steel bolts and washers, and use car seat belt material for over the arm cuffs, and velcro. The plastic on the BH is brittle, and it's only a matter of time before they go again. If you can get the XT17000 arm rest then do so, I highly recommend them. My lower shafts are on the verge of going as well. HH regards Nugget.:ausflag::)

Thanks for the info Nugget! I did a repair similar to what you describe to the arm rest of my Land Ranger while waiting for the new upper shaft which they sent out. Bounty Hunter came thru with a new lower shaft as well for the second problem. This one is all one piece and seems more sturdy.
The sad part of the story is now my detector is back in El Paso for repair as the touch pad went kaput!

Hi !

Have myself a lone star with re-fitted arm support ( own work), and a qdII with an old XLT arm support.

This problem seems to be recurrent with latest BH design. Not really annoying, if you can find the spares.

Never heard of low stem parts breaking.

Happy hunting

Nick the Belgian.

I have had 2 minelab SD series snap at the lower stem join too, It's because of sweeping the coil on the ground, but what can you do. Every advantage counts on the goldfield or the beaches. I wear out skid plates pretty fast too because I need every depth advantage I can. I've only had 1 BH snap at the lower shaft, and I use mine constantly week in week out, but both units are on the verge of snapping now so more purchases on the way. HH regards Robert.:ausflag::)