Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big Holes, Bad For the Hobby

A

Anonymous

Last weekend I drove an hour away from my house to hunt an old school in a very old town. I started hunting around a old rusty backstop and within a couple of minutes I had a deep signal that turned out to be a 1864 IH. I was only going to stay for a half hour or so as I was on my way home from a morning of hunting. After I had been there awhile, I noticed another fella hunting at the other end of the field and he was gridding a section off and really hunting slow. When I was ready to leave I hunted over to him to check out his finds. When I got close, I noticed he had a small shovel, not a hand digging tool. He had some success and I left him. I did not see him dig any holes nor did I see any of his holes at that point. I went back yesterday and figured I would hunt the end where I had found the IH and I was shocked by what I saw. Every hole this guy dug was huge( 18 inches in diameter) and he left most of the loose dirt on the ground. Granted this was not a manicured lawn, but holes that big are totally out of line. I can dig a 8 to 10 inch deep plug and have the hole 4 or 5 inches in diameter and I use a drop cloth to put every bit of dirt back in the hole. You will never know I was there. Sloppy people like this are ruinning our hobby. These people are meat hunters that will not slow down and enjoy the hunt. They grab what they can, figuring that when they leave, they are gone for good. Two weeks ago one of my favorite parks got put off limits because of one of these slobs. Bringing a shovel to dig a public place can look pretty intimidating. Dig the smallest hole possible and leave the yards and fields just like you found them or we are doomed in this hobby. Just my thoughts. R.L. Johnson

chances are you'll offend somebody but sad to say if we don't police our ranks we get lumped in with the abusers.i had a guy a while back check on me in a church yard.he asked me if i just got there and i says no,been here an hour or so.he says well it looks like you're covering your holes pretty well,i can't see where you've dug any.i'll admit i was a bit offended that he was checking up on me but he was in the right and if i'd been sloppy i have no doubt he would have told me so.i'm not the most diplomatic person so i hope i never have to correct anyone on their digging style but i will if i have to.

You have to tell these slobs to do a better job and forget the shovel. If they won't conform, find someone in charge and report them, that way you won't look like one of them.

i also use a small trawl and drop cloth it works great! I have been complimented on the way to detect. Ps. in the manul it told how to use the drop cloth. doing it right from the start.

how did a post from april get here?kinda threw me for a minute,i know i hadn't posted anything here lately and i come across my name in the reply i think i'm getting senile or there's two of me!

HI

I JUST GOT STARTED IN TO THIS HOBBY ! I HOPE THEY DO NOT BAND IT ALL TO GEATHER,THAT WHOULD BE SO SAD. FOR ALL OF US THAT INJOY IT SO MUCH. I ALWAYS COVER UP MY HOLE.

PRISCILLA

HI

I JUST GOT STARTED IN TO THIS HOBBY ! I HOPE THEY DO NOT BAND IT ALL TO GEATHER,THAT WHOULD BE SO SAD. FOR ALL OF US THAT INJOY IT SO MUCH. I ALWAYS COVER UP MY HOLE.

PRISCILLA:(

:ranting::rant::veryangry: I agree with you all....THAT IS RIDICULOUS!
TURN THE GUY IN TO THE AUTHORITIES! PROTECT THE HOBBY FOR THE REST OF US! And,,,oh yeah,,,:angel: Have a nice day.;)

If it were me I would have confronted the guy and told him to leave, Those are the kind of friggen idiots that screw things up for all of us. If you see him again place a note on his car asking him to fill in his holes or sell his detector and find some other hobby.

hi

thats a good ideal. but you whan't to confront the man in a nice and kind way so he don't get mad.
priscilla

It is truly sad that some detect out of greed...
find everything they can at anyones expense,
and don't care about damaging property.

I hate those type of detectors... They are a threat
to this hobby, and to the average property owner who falls
victim to one of these idiots, we all become the bad guy.

It's real simple folks...
Be polite, show respect, have fun, and
when you leave it should look like you were never there.

I
IM AND OUT SIDE KIND OF GIRL,SO I DON'T MINDED THE GOOD SNAKE'S JUST THE BAD ONE'S.

PRISCILLA

I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where it was suggested that the offender be shown the correct way to dig. If done diplomatically, perhaps a solution?

I'm just over a year in this fabulous hobby. Started out with a Lesche digger, and now my only tool for retrieving my targets up to 5" deep is a standard flat head screwdriver.

Let me tell you this method takes time to learn. Once perfected it is a much faster way of retrieving the target.