Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bounty Hunter Land Star

hobo_oz

I have just purchased this unit and getting my head around it, I used the instructions to get familiar with it, the tone ID works ok when the target is close to the coil, but at about 6" I get a mixture of tones, not a positive ID, it seems to do this in the ground too. Also does the unit ground track in all modes like the Tracker IV? the control pad seems to indicate it is operative in the non motion all metal mode, any help will be appreciated!

Hi hobo oz:

If you go exactly by the book, you will be doing OK, but the book has a few minor problems...I can NEVER set my sensitivity up to 3 o'clock here in Syracuse, NY due to the high mineralization in our limestone/clay soil mix...I am lucky if I can get it up to 12 o'clock, and mostly run it around 9 o'clock. Also, when you first turn on the machine you are NOT in the All-Metal mode...You are in the DISC. mode...This makes the machine a turn on and go type...I have written to First Texas Products about these mistakes in the manuals...I have not received a reply yet. Try turning the sensitivity to 12 o'clock, and the discrimination all the way down...leave the ground balance at preset-set on air tests, and swing your objects so they are flat to the coil...swing them at constant speeds...varying speeds will give different signals sometimes...it takes practice, but my Land Star is very accurate on coins (although the new dollars register as quarters or 50 cents due to their size.) it is hard on most lower end machines to tell between pull tabs/gold/and nickels...this just takes practice, a knowledge of your hunting area, and digging a LOT of trash...But that one diamond ring makes all that trash disappear... :starwars: :pulltab: :clapping:

Happy Hunting :bounty::detecting:,

BH-LandStar

Hi Hobo,
The LS all metal mode is a non-motion type which is great for beaches, prospecting & pinpointing
& sizing targets After setting the manual ground balance, the ground trac is pressed to "lock in" that
setting. Motion is required in the disc. & notch modes only and the disc. mode will automatically adjust
to mineralization & the ground trac pad is not used for that, being only for the all metal mode. When the
disc/notch control is turned completely ccw, the detection then becomes an all metal Motion mode & all
targets, including iron, will be detected while in disc. mode.
..W

Thanks for your valuable help guys, I must say a great site for getting help from users of the detectors. hope you had a good Christmas and have a PROSPECTING New Year!!
All the best from Australia.

Thanx Wayne!!!

You just taught me something I have been overlooking in my hunting habbits...I did not know that the Ground-trac button locked in the manual ground balance setting...I wonder if you turn the knob after you lock it in, if it changes it again??? I would think it would...How often do you manual ground balance if your hunting the same area, or do you set it and forget it??? This has been a tricky item for me...With our soil up here in NY, I find myself ground balancing a LOT in ALL-Metal modes.

Happy Hunting,

BH-LandStar

Hi BH-LS. Yes it's true, each time the GB knob is turned then the
Ground Trac pad must be re-pushed to retune the circuit to that new
setting. In areas like yours where the ground effect can change
often, you can push the GT pad to retune to your first setting. This
will help some but it doesn't act like an automatic GB as is found
on the Tesoro LST, e.g. About the only thing to do is try to reach a
"happy medium" by resetting the GB control now & then, pushing
the GT pad each time to retune to the new setting, but it's a step in
the right direction, a nice feature of the Land Star, without having an
auto GB circuit. Of course, I'm sure you're aware that in neutral ground,
you may run in the "preset" mode on the GB control, which enlists the
circuit that is preset by the factory, the manual GB being needed only
for higher minerals ground.

I've never used my LS in rich iron soils as is found in Gold country, being
in fairly neutral ground in my area of Texas, but I've used it in some of
the more ironized areas of East Texas, where even some amounts of
black sand can be found. I've been pretty successful with my LS on the
wet salt beaches of Galveston as well, using the GB, sensitivity, and
discrimination controls to "balance" out the capacitance effect of the
salted sand and where there is black sand in the underlying base.
The LS is a very capable detector in most areas and never fails to
surprise me at times. I would indeed like to try it sometime in Gold
bearing soils, even though I know that it's circuit doesn't have the
design for that as well as the more dedicated gold units have, like
the LST or the Fisher Gold Bug for example.
Good Luck in all your hunts!
..W

I will attempt to describe how I manual ground balance the Land Star... I push the ALL-METAL button after setting my sensitivity, then raise the coil to hip level...I hit the GT button, then lower the coil to the ground. I tune the manual ground balance until the sound JUST disappears, then hit the GT button again...
Is this a good practice, or am I doing it all wrong???

Thanks,

BH-LandStar

Hi BH, Here's my procedure... turn unit on, press am pad, hold waist high, turn gb control to preset,
lower coil to one inch above ground (no need to touch ground), if ground gives
positive sound increase, then turn gb ccw 1/8th turn at a time(waist high), press
G.Trac after EACH change to the gb knob so as to lock in the setting. When the
ground sound JUST quits, the circuit is balanced to the mineralization at that
spot. There's no need to press the GT pad until the GB knob is turned.
..W

Hi BH, Here's my procedure... turn unit on, press am pad, hold waist high, turn gb control to preset,
positive sound increase, then turn gb ccw 1/8th turn at a time(waist high), press
..W

..W

Ok...Sounds fairly much the same as I have been doing...I thank you for the tip...Seeing as it has gotten warmer and the snow has melted some, I might actually get out of the house this afternoon and hunt for a a few hours at a local field day site...I find a LOT of quarters there...I have been hunting it in small sections, about 100x20 yards at a time...I have just gotten into the rides and games section within the last month...previously, I was in the vendors section...more money gets lost in the rides and games section it appears. I will post my finds when I get em cleaned up after my return...

HH,

BH-LandStar

Here are my finds from the MUCK HUNT at Wood's Field in Solvay, NY...Jan 06, 2008...about 1hr 45min. in a 100 by 25 yard grid...first 6 quarters cam from the same hole...4 at 2 inches, 1 at 4 inches, and one at 6 inches...it was wierd...lol...my previous record was 5 in a hole at the same depth, all together...I missed Silver by one year...I found 1965 and 1967 quarters...Enjoy

01-06-08Solvay.jpg

HH,

BH-LandStar

...Looking for the Elusive Diamond/Gold ring...Have you seen one??....