Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anyone tell me what a buck from a buck and ball mics at and what the smaller cal. pistol balls mic at???

A

Anonymous

I find alot of small cal. round balls in my area and was wondering if they are pistol balls or buck.
Also do the bucks have a flat spot where it was attached to the round ball? Any help would be appreciated.
Scott

Scott - do a search on Buck and Ball. I posted a series on them and how to measure. Yes, you should see three small dimples in the ball and if you turn the ball 90 degrees to the dimples you should see where the ball is distorted on firing and came into contact with the bore. If you measure at this point you should get close .69. If you check closely on the ball you should see where the cartridge strings were imprinted into the ball on firing. Ball should weigh about 406 grains and .30 buck should weigh about 60 grains. There were also special 12 buck rounds that fit into shotguns and other ML. Abundant B&B might indicate an early campsite say 1861 to 1862.
Hope this helps,
Dave

I find a variety of different sizes and the smaller ones I felt were too small for pistol balls. I'll have to examine my collection again.
Thanks again,
Scott (ihuntrelics!)