Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can the Racer handle high mineralization?

Calnevaroy

I need to ask because in the Sacramento Valley where I live the ground is rather difficult. I ask this question with a past detector in mind, the Teknetics Mark 1, a two filter machine that didn't work well here or in Northern Nevada's ground. This leads me to wonder how many filters the Racer is based upon and how well it handles mineralization. I read and watched the accompanying video of a recent post on this forum, "Mineralized dirt and saltwater test with the Makro Racer" but would appreciate more input if possible. Thank you, Roy

theare was a video just posted , don't know where it is now but Yes it kicks but from what i seen . look up Utube you may find the vid , by detector comparisons

I can say using the beach mode it ran fantastic in wet black, mineralized sands & balanced fine. I would think for harsh red clays I'd try the beach mode as well....

Calnevaroy said:
I need to ask because in the Sacramento Valley where I live the ground is rather difficult. I ask this question with a past detector in mind, the Teknetics Mark 1, a two filter machine that didn't work well here or in Northern Nevada's ground.
Like you, for most of my life I have lived in and dealt with very mineralized ground conditions, generally in Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and some of the places I have traveled to in California and Idaho. I remember when the early Teknetics Coin Computers were out ±30 years ago and, while I liked some of the Mark I's concepts and slow-motion search abilities, I sure didn't like the impaired performance in "bad ground."

Calnevaroy said:
This leads me to wonder how many filters the Racer is based upon and how well it handles mineralization.
That's two questions and I'll answer the first with this.: It really doesn't matter the number of "filters" as we used to refer to them because those were still earlier analog circuitry design days and we had a definite difference between the early era 2-Flter and 4-Filter designs In late '87 Compass gave us the 3-Filter concept, which is what their Vari-filter was as they designed the Scanner series, then about a dozen years later White's went the 3-filter route with their MXT.

Today we don't have any 4-filter detectors offered, and the MXT 'family' [size=small](The MXT, MXT Pro, MXT All-Pro, M6 and MX5)[/size] are the only 3-filter models I know of being made. But we have had a remarkable change in circuitry designs in recent years to more totally digital circuitry design and the definitions of how they achieve their results. In communications with the Nokta/Makro R&D lead engineer I had asked several specific questions and he responded with a very courteous answer that describes, somewhat simplistically, how they are designed.

In these modern times they/we don't really use 2-filter and 3-filter and 4-filter the same as we used to. I can't share with you the discussion as I was asked to keep in confidential. However, I can tell you that the circuitry design isn't described the same way we used to, and the blaring facts are that what the Nokta/Makro engineering team have done is provide us, the end consumer, with some of the most sophisticated and yet simple or basic adjustment functions and excellent in-the-field results. It's not a matter of 'filters' any more like it used to loosely use.

The second question in that sentence was how well the Racer handles mineralization. I have seen the videos showing the Racer's behavior in a variety of soils, and I have to confirm that the Racer has performed exceptionally well in every mineral challenge I put it to the test in. Dirty-bad-nasty ground, and DBN Ground with a lot of Iron Debris, and it still leaves me impressed.

Calnevaroy said:
I read and watched the accompanying video of a recent post on this forum, "Mineralized dirt and saltwater test with the Makro Racer" but would appreciate more input if possible. Thank you, Roy
I have hunted on some wet alkali desert, but not at a coastal beach yet. I have worked both the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer in some tad dirt, dark dirt, red dirt with clay, and other places. Sites where the Racer gives a Ground Phase read-out from '81' to '85' and the Ferrous Ground pie-chart display shows '5', '6' or '7' segments darkened up out of '8' so it was challenging ground. The Racer worked well in the Threshold-based All Metal mode, as well as the 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes, as well as the Beach mode.

Get one, use it, learn it, and I'll guarantee that you'll you will also be favorably impressed with the Racer.

Monte

Thanks to Monte and everyone else who replied. All input suggests that the Racer can handle tough ground easily. Thanks again to Monte for his explanation of the "evolution" of electronic design of filters. I'll be placing my order soon. Thank you, Roy

Well, I guess I'll start following this forum for awhile.

I don't have any input on these units but a person has to start somewhere. One question I have isn't the side mounted display a problem?

One feature I noticed about some of these units is a built in flashlight! which leads to another conclusion, I should have patented my idea "The Detector Running Light" Over the years some of my very best coin finds were well after dark, I've found that a small single 1watt LED light is about perfect for a detector running light.

Mark

The Racer is not a side mounted display. If you are looking at the graphic at the top of this page thinking that is a Racer, it isn't. Take a look at www.makrodetector.com for the details.

MarkCZ said:
Well, I guess I'll start following this forum for awhile.
An active forum with good people and excellent new products, supported my an involved manufacturer who reads, monitors and responds to forum activity.

MarkCZ said:
I don't have any input on these units but a person has to start somewhere. One question I have isn't the side mounted display a problem?
The Makro Racer has a full-featured Display that faces the operator and is easily maneuvered. The Nokta FORS CoRe [size=small](for Coin & Relic)[/size] is the model with the side-positioned adjustment display, and it is also easy to maneuver. It scrolls through settings faster than the Racer, about 4X faster, and it has memory. The display in the handgrip is bold and easy-to-view.

MarkCZ said:
One feature I noticed about some of these units is a built in flashlight! which leads to another conclusion, I should have patented my idea "The Detector Running Light" Over the years some of my very best coin finds were well after dark, I've found that a small single 1watt LED light is about perfect for a detector running light.

Mark
Yes, both models have a built-in flashlight directed at the search coil area, and for their small size they work pretty well. I have been using small flashlights to light-up the coil's search area since about '71 when I started doing more night hunting. That's how I have spent most of my summer hunting time with the heat in the desert ghost towns I hunt in Utah, Nevada, and a few other western states since '83, by napping in the cool shade with a desert breeze by day, and hunting very early, very late and then through the dark of night.

Biggest problem is that the flashlights run batteries down faster than a good detector does. I've only used the FORS and Racer built-in flashlights a few times as we're still dealing with colder nighttime temps, but I plan to compare battery life soon as we get into more 'flashlight' weather.

Monte

Watch out for rattlesnakes in those areas Monte--there's plenty of them out there--especially in the hunt hours you mention.----Have a hunt pardner with you or at least bring a cell phone.-----Never had a problem in this regard you say---there's a first time for everything----be prepared.-------------Del

years old. Matter of fact it's a topic I have been typing up to post on AHRPS in a few days.

I moved faster back then than I do today with my crappy health, but I have a few things in my favor. I grew up in rattlesnake country or have intentionally planted myself in it when detecting during all fifty years I have enjoyed it. I worry more about my dog than I do me. Don't want he to imagine it's a moving stick and she wants to play.

Monte

Yes, I find myself frequenting this forum more and more as the day when my Racer Pro Pack gets here. My first order of business is to buy an additional coil. The Macro 5x10 coil. It should be AWESOME in old home sites where good ground coverage coupled with good separation is needed. Got a good feeling about that coil. I got a good feeling about the Racer in general.....from the information that I have gained from here and there and Youtube.
I like SIMPLE. I don't much like having to program in a bunch of stuff to get going. The Macro seems as user-friendly as it gets, from what I have learned through reading and watching vids. My ground is moderately to moderately-high mineralized (depending on the location). This is a good thread. Great replies. They are appreciated. kevin