Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canadian Clad

GpSnoopy

I've been following this forum with great interest and am close to making the leap to owning one. Only question still unanswered in my mind is how it "sees" our modern Canadian clad. Since 2000, our nickels, dimes and quarters are a thin nickel plating over a steel core (pennies are copper plated steel or zinc core). Has anyone had any experience with these coins, or if you have some on hand , be able to do some testing to see how the Deus responds to them?

Sounds like Canada wants to make coin shooting pretty hard!!!
Don't have any Canadian coin to give it a try on, but would love to know how they hit...

HH

Its terrible. It would be very difficult to differentiate the Canadian clad from trash in my opinion..

GpSnoopy, I was partially wrong in my reply to your post. I just did a test on the Canadian quarter year 2000 and 1987 both responded the same. Within 3-4 inches the steel core emits enough of a signal to mask out the coins. At about 4-5 inches and more, the quarter responds like a coin in reverse. A standard US quarter ID will rise as the coil is moved further from the coin. The Canadian quarter ID will drop. so at 4-5 inches it is 98 and drops to as much as 89 at about 10-12 inches. That of course is in air and earth will be somewhat different. The Canadian Quarters sound good from a depth but surface clad up to 4 inches deep will sound like trash.

I have been finding quarters 1 to 2 inches in the ground they are coming up 94-95. Being in the ground must help them along a bit?

I am finding also the nickles are coming up 94 I have found 2 1967 nickles that read 94, this baffles me