Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

carved or not carved is the question!!!

88junior

Guys tell me what you think, I have never dug a bullett shaped like this.

Not carved. cch

Nice one Morgan, wish I could have made it today.

Looks like a heavy hand on the ram rod.

I think it's a double loaded bullet. That one being the first one in. Sometimes called panic bullets. When fired the first ball takes on the cone of the top ball.

Now that makes sense Digger. I have never heard of a panic bullet!

People tend to get a little shook when someone is trying to shoot them. I've never had that happen to me but I probably would loose my composure & load a round or two on top of one another.

Digger70pa said:
I think it's a double loaded bullet. That one being the first one in. Sometimes called panic bullets. When fired the first ball takes on the cone of the top ball.
i think too, it's the first of a double loaded
good find!
senda

When I was in high school, one of my history teachers brought in a photo of a rifle that had been loaded so many times, more than half the barrel was packed with lead. The pros say that he was following all the reload orders, but probably didn't have any caps, but went through the motions of shooting anyway. They had cut this barrel lengthwise to expose all the lead in the thing. I don't remember how many were in there, but they were packed in good: powder, patch, ball, powder, patch, ball, the whole way. Can't say I've seen one that was shot though. Interesting find for sure.

I agree with brnn53 and jimyk.A second loaded bullet would have powder and wadding between the bullets.Even if the bullet was loaded directly on top of the first bullet the soft thin edges of a mini ball would conform to the first bullet.I believe this round was loaded in a gun with fouled bore and had to be hammered down.Have found a few of these the riflings marks on the ones I have found show to have been shot thru a very fouled bore.

I had read a story in American digger mag that they were a group of soldiers that were starving to death and lived off acorns and the acorn became a insignia to them and they were less than 30 miles up the road in Chattanooga TN. And the shape of this bullets end looks like a acorn. That's why I was thinking it was carved.