Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:cheers: first Racer hunt NOT on a beach

DigFella

Well everyone has been asking for some "real" in the ground tests. I know my videos have been mostly fresh beach burials because I've been under 2 feet of snow. I finally found a worked out park that the sun had hit the banks and melted the snow, the ground in certain spots was soft enough to get through. This park has been absolutely pounded and lots of silver and Indianhead's and wheats surfaced in the past. I was very excited to try the racer at this site. Coin and jewelry does remain under a lot of iron trash. I started out with the two-tone mode as that's what I always liked on my T2.when I got into a nail ridden area, I quickly found out how awesome running three tones on the racer is going to be. The presets on the three tone mode are a perfect starting point. 70 gain, disc 10. Leaving disc at 10 let me hear all the iron grunts. The mid & high tones sang right out loudly. Reminded me of using iron audio on the popular Garrett ATs. Coin shooters have hammered this site, so I wanted to dig mid tones because last time I was here I dug 2 buffalo nickels back to back around a bunch of old dig holes, and I know there's gold rings buried in that range too. I wore a nails pouch and began filling it with tabs from all eras. But then I began to get into some cool Victorian jewelry reading essentially the same as tabs. First good target was a small metal piece of the rosary beads, second was a gorgeous Victorian hat pin with green stone I pulled out of heavy trash. After a lunch break, I tried A Hillside that always produced a mixture of clad and deeper older coins. First coin was a silver Washington quarter, followed up a few minutes later by a silver war nickel. As I saw on the beach testing I did, coins on the racer stick to one number and lock in. I got a solid 85 reading on a well-worn path I know has been hunted by several detectors including myself. 8 inches down into the clay layer, out flips a 1918 Merc.
I was having a ball! I ended the hunt going back to the heavy trash where the hatpin came out and I found a Victorian sash buckle with two stones. It too was a solid lock on number 82.
Dominique filmed this hunt, and she should have a video out this week hopefully. I think she would admit that the racer really stole the show at this site with 3 pieces of jewelry & 3 silver coins. I took Friday off to try for more at the same place, stay tuned:biggrin:

Very nice finds, what coil did you use?

Looks like a good hunt!

I should have my Racer tomorrow and my small coil Thursday. Can't want to take them to a couple special places and see what happens. I will be videoing.

Awesome hunt Bill. The Racer seems to be performing as well as we thought it should from the preliminary testing and hunting done. That sash buckle and hat pin will look great in you finds room and silver is always good.

if you like it , its good .

I have only used Minelabs in my relatively short detecting career. Started with Safari, then etrac, and finally CTX 3030. Very used to FBS and was skeptical trying a non FBS machine. I am impressed with the racer. My test garden has shown me with the racer that there is life outside of Minelab. Not saying one is better than the other, but the I find the racer to be a beast in my early testing in New England soil. Still early on but I think Makro has something here. Especially at a third the price.

I've been out detecting with the racer 6-7 times now. The rechargeable AA batts the pro pack came with are the best I have ever used! I'm still on full bars! Battery life is great if your not using the lights.....

Good to hear your comments. The batteries I have used and reported on last week, I believe, have been long-lasting Alkaline batteries. I have a new set in now that I am checking the run-time on, as I am with the FORS CoRe, and both have alkaline batteries loaded in them at the present. Of course the daylight hours have been shorter and it's been cooler weather most days, too, so better weather will bring longer search durations and that can pull down the battery life a little faster, but so far the Racer is fuel efficient, to say the least.

Next up with both models I will use the charged-up batteries they shipped with and monitor run time closely. I hope summer arrives soon for you.

Monte

Nice finds. I need to quit getting on this forum. I am wanting a racer bad.