Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Christmas silver quarter...First one!

REVIER

I found dimes, and even a few halves but silver quarters have eluded me so far.
Now I got the F70 so no more.

Climbed up a mountain where there is silver...few and far between but it's up there.
I was really looking for a Barber anything, but this is a great consolation prize.
Also found a 1919 wheat penny before my hands froze up because of my wet gloves so I am in the right area to find older coins.
Now I have to get some rubber gloves or something if I am going to do this in the winter cold.

I might have hit it but I am not sure.
It was buried under a huge amount of small roots so I guess I need to be more careful but I can easily learn that...and I will sharpen up my Lesche, too.

Good end of the year find, bodes well for next year.
Being known as the jewelry guy is cool, being known as both the jewelry guy AND the old coin guy is cooler.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas...I sure did!

Man,,,,, Getting out in the cold,, Freezing your butt off. Getting frost bit. Not to mention your toes. You are crazy... At least you found a nice Christmas gift.. Good looking too... KEN

ken ward said:
Man,,,,, Getting out in the cold,, Freezing your butt off. Getting frost bit. Not to mention your toes. You are crazy... At least you found a nice Christmas gift.. Good looking too... KEN

Thanks!

It I was actually a balmy 39 degrees today.
Didn't figure out my gloves getting wet, though.
I will be prepared next time.
Digging in the woods is one of the only places where the ground isn't really frozen, so if I want to hunt that's where you got to go.

Here is the 1919 wheatie I found on the same trip, and a Princess Pat lipstick tube which dates to the 20' or 30's.
F70 settings were disc at 4, thresh into the positive numbers, DE, sense way up into the 90's and 2F tones...very hot considering all the EMI I have encountered before on trips up this hill.
The F70 and 11" DD coil worked great and was actually relatively quiet considering.
The numbers were a little jumpy on all my good targets but the tones sounded good so I dug them.

Excellent find, well worth the effort IMO. :clapping:

To keep your hands warm and dry you might consider checking out some cloves that are made of thin wet suit material. I picked up a pair at one of the larger sporting goods stores and they work quite well.

Take care! HH

knarfj said:
Excellent find, well worth the effort IMO. :clapping:

To keep your hands warm and dry you might consider checking out some cloves that are made of thin wet suit material. I picked up a pair at one of the larger sporting goods stores and they work quite well.

Take care! HH

Yes, I have been told leather gloves coated with beeswax works well, diving gloves like you suggested are another possibility.
I actually have some rubber coated gloves I usually don't like at all but in this case they might work out well as long as the temps don't get into the 20's.

Chiseling items from frozen earth just isn't much fun but to be rewarded with silver almost makes it close to worth it! Congratulations on the silver! George

broadestpower said:
Chiseling items from frozen earth just isn't much fun but to be rewarded with silver almost makes it close to worth it! Congratulations on the silver! George

No, I don't like digging in frozen ground at all.
Last January I actually bent my Lesche trying to dig down 2" and eventually that lead to it breaking so digging in frozen soil is not going to happen for me at all anymore.

That is the good thing about hunting in the woods...no frozen ground, although parts of it were pretty wet.
The leaves will form a blanket and keep the soil soft so much easier to dig...except for all the roots, big and small, that you have to deal with.

Congratulations on the silver quarter. I like the old wheat too!! You know you love doing something when you will endure great discomfort to do it........good luck on your next hunt too.