Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Trouser Button Metal Type?

LightNing

I found what looks like a Civil War trouser button, with the four holes in it. I've read that these could be stamped tin or lead. How can I tell if it's stamped tin or lead, and if it's authentic from that era or a modern day replica?

Thanks.

Hey
Post a picture of the front and back.
Someone will probably be able to ID it.

CCH

Looks like a standard underwear button ... possibly from the CW period. If you find any other relics/bullets/buttons etc from the CW in that area then that would maybe justify it. Nice little find. I'd go back and give that area another pass with my detector. CCH

Almost all the tin buttons like that will come out rusty. Yours looks like some type of pewter composition? Lead would normally turn white, was it in the water?

Thanks CCH. I did find a thin copper coin about the size of a quarter in the same area, badly worn and difficult to read. I posted it on the Whatzit forum, and was told it may be an 1837 half-cent token, so I guess it's worth a few more passes with the detector.

thanks for that explanation umrgolf. It was pulled from dirt, not from the water. It was near a tree, but I don't think the tree was that old. It was probably down about 6" or so.