Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil Ware Era Ghost Town Gives Up Some Relics

jimmyk

Through word of mouth and library research, I was able to get permission to hunt a cornfield that was the site of a Civil War era town. Settled in the 1840's the town was in existance until the railroad passed three miles away. At that point, the town moved to the railroad. During the Civil War a cavalry detachment for the North was headqurtered in the town's hotel. 400 yards from the hotel was a brick church built in 1854. During the was the church was burned by the "bushwachers". A partsan group of fighters for the South. Behind the church was a cemetary. When the tonw moved, all but three of the grave sites were moved, as well. I was hunting in the area of the church and cemetary and found some interesting relics. I like to think the heavy brass key was for the church. The heavy brass ornate ring makes me wonder if it was off one of the caskets that was moved. It has two holes to fasten it to something. Found several dropped bullets, as well. As you might expect, found lots of unidentifyable junk, as well. Still, fun to hunt an old historic site.

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in MIssouri

Great finds. I go back and dig some more ; especially if you have permission !!! :thumbup: cch

Nice finds Jimmy! I enjoyed the history you gave. The town you described is just like the one I've been hunting in my hay field! CW era town, only difference is this one never moved :) Mine also had a Cavalry camp, but no hotel that I'm aware of