Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Clad cleaning tips Need some!

I was just wondering if anyone knew a good way to clean clad coins. I am getting ALOT of them and want to clean them to cash them in. Thanks

I use a coin Tumbler. Works good. I usually do each denomination individually. If not the coins come out stained. You can probably pick one up for $30.00 and up. The brand I have is Lortone.

Kerry

If you have a rock tumbler just pick up some aquarium gravel, ad some water untill it is over the coins and gravel, give it a little Real Lemon juice and tumble. I seperate the clad from the copper before I tumble them. The copper will be clean in about a hour, but the clad will take 3 or 4 hours sometimes and sometimes I will tumble, then soak over nite and tumble for a hour in the morning. Works real nice and I will see if I have some before and after pictures to post.
Here is some clad before I cleaned them.
[attachment 15954 clad.jpg]

Here they are after cleaning and they do lokk beter than what the picture is.
[attachment 15955 clad2.jpg]

And here are the pennies I cleaned.
[attachment 15956 pennies.jpg]

Price has gone up. I only paid $19.99 a year ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46376

I put about 1/3 coins, 1/3 gravel add the water and lemon juice and tumble.

You can also use liquid detergent in place of the lemon juice. It might be cheaper. I use "Sun Light", and only about a teaspoon per "load". Dump the coins into a sifter of some kind, (I use an old french fry basket) over a big bowl, rinsing with fresh water, then dump them onto an old towel, and "scrub" till dry.

Different Coin Cleaning Methods for Clad & Non-Valuable Old Coins

Great Cleaning Method For CLAD Coins, ONLY!!!

You

I put 'em all in an old sock (pennies seperated from silver clad), drop them in the next load of laundry, then take them to the coin machine at the bank. My bank only charges 3% for the machine.

They're not in pristine condition, but it knocks the dirt off and shines them up a little. Enough to take away the guilt factor anyway.

:usaf:Gadget