Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil Cover and Battery Question

unearth

Two questions here...why is it so hard, for me anyway, to remove the coil cover on the standard ATX coil? Every time I use my ATX at the beach and then want to clean the machine I have to really pry the coil cover off. Well, this time it broke. So, is there a special way to remove the cover easily?
Second question, I didn't use the ATX for a month or a bit more. I had removed the batteries after the last time it was used. I take it out today, turn it on, get the four beeps indicating full power, but, after two hours of detecting the battery light stars flashing and I get the low battery sound. Question, why did I get the four beeps indicating full power when it seems that the batteries were not at full power?
Thanks in advance for any insight to these matters.

Unearth,

As batteries age, their capacity decreases over time. When you first powered on your ATX, it took a reading on the voltage level of the batteries and signalled 4 beeps, as the measured
voltage just after turn-on was measuring FULL. Now as those batteries are used with the detector ON, the capacity drops, thus the voltage drops due to the batteries being UNDER LOAD
conditions, and so the batteries dropped below the threshold "low capacity" level of the ATX and so it gave you the warning after about 2 hrs of use in this case. Old batteries behave like this.
New batteries, because of their full CAPACITY, take longer to drop their voltage to "used-up" condition.

You simply either had a set of batteries that were partially used already (put away half used), or you had a 'new' set that wasn't quite up to snuff capacity wise. **NOTE that it only can take ONE
BATTERY in the set to be 'weak' to create this condition. I always check each CELL in my ATX packs, with a voltmeter, or battery tester, to make sure each one has similar voltage levels before
I go hunting. Sometimes you get ONE that can lower the overall PACK voltage (what the ATX checks) and could signal a battery low condition on the ATX.

Hope that helps??

Beav

One cell put into the battery pack in reverse can cause the condition also.

As for the coil cover, they are tight so they do no come off while detecting in the water.
I know of no "tool" that will help, except for the careful working the cover off starting at one point and working your way around and giving special attention to the area in the center and at the heal of the coil.