Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coiltek anti interference

Digger70pa

Question for you guys. Does a coiltek anti interference coil discriminate? Just wondering thanks.

I have been looking for a used Coiltek A.I. but to answer your question according to Anbenson in the 4500 discriminate thread they do not.

allgirls said:
I have been looking for a used Coiltek A.I. but to answer your question according to Anbenson in the 4500 discriminate thread they do not.
Ok thanks for answering.

I had an 11" DD Coiltec interference coil, it did discriminate. Wasn't as deep as a stock GPX DD, but it did have discrimination.

Paul

I have a number of Coiltek Anti Interference coils and can assure you they DO discriminate. As Old California states above they are not as deep as the same size DD coil. However, the trade off is well worth it in areas of high EMI.

Old California said:
I had an 11" DD Coiltec interference coil, it did discriminate. Wasn't as deep as a stock GPX DD, but it did have discrimination.

Paul
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting the 14" coiltec anti coil for relic hunting. I've got a few spots with electric fences & power lines over head. I wonder how they make it less sensitive to electrical interference? I read on here it's a figure 8 winding in them. I wonder if it's shielded better?

Digger70pa said:

Paul Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting the 14" coiltec anti coil for relic hunting. I've got a few spots with electric fences & power lines over head. I wonder how they make it less sensitive to electrical interference? I read on here it's a figure 8 winding in them. I wonder if it's shielded better?

The Coiltec 14" Anti Interference coil is my 'go to' coil in areas of high EMI. A really good coil to have in your arsenal.

filternozzle said:

Paul Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm looking at getting the 14" coiltec anti coil for relic hunting. I've got a few spots with electric fences & power lines over head. I wonder how they make it less sensitive to electrical interference? I read on here it's a figure 8 winding in them. I wonder if it's shielded better?

The Coiltec 14" Anti Interference coil is my 'go to' coil in areas of high EMI. A really good coil to have in your arsenal.
That's good to know buddy. I'll have one soon. I'm just getting started with my GPX buddy. It'll take me a little while to compliment it with the needed equipment. How does it do on coppers & small silver like half dimes? Thanks

A hunter told me to stay away from the AI coils today. He said they loose a lot of depth compared to the regular coils. I was wondering if the 14" anti coil is comparable to the 11" DD coil?

Digger70pa said:
A hunter told me to stay away from the AI coils today. He said they loose a lot of depth compared to the regular coils. I was wondering if the 14" anti coil is comparable to the 11" DD coil?

You have to remember the whole point of an AI coil is to enable good performance of the GPX in areas of 'high EMI' where other coils are 'unusable' or so difficult to use that one has to switch into cancel (with loss of depth) and or, have restrictions on which Search Modes, Soil Timings or Audio Types can be used together with reduction in in other settings like RX Gain, Stabilizer and Target Volume. All resulting in severe loss of depth.

In answer to the question of depth, I have found the performance of the 14" AI to be at least as good as a standard 11"DD

In areas of very little or no EMI then a standard DD or Mono should be used.

filternozzle said:

You have to remember the whole point of an AI coil is to enable good performance of the GPX in areas of 'high EMI' where other coils are 'unusable' or so difficult to use that one has to switch into cancel (with loss of depth) and or, have restrictions on which Search Modes, Soil Timings or Audio Types can be used together with reduction in in other settings like RX Gain, Stabilizer and Target Volume. All resulting in severe loss of depth.

In answer to the question of depth, I have found the performance of the 14" AI to be at least as good as a standard 11"DD

In areas of very little or no EMI then a standard DD or Mono should be used.
Cool thanks buddy. I asked & got the suggestions I needed. Cool thread. I relic hunt for civil war artifacts & run into lots of emi with my vlf machines. From the little experience that I have with the GPX what your saying is helpful. As far as I know nothing is made for a vlf like that & the only way to combat emi is a reduction of gain. Thanks for the advice buddy. HH

Well I used my AI coil today. It did pretty good. Some things I didn't know about it was that it reverses the signal on the back swing. That takes a little getting used to. It blanks out over shallow iron & warbles on deep it on. I hunted right under power lines also. It was smooth.

Digger70pa said:
Well I used my AI coil today. It did pretty good. Some things I didn't know about it was that it reverses the signal on the back swing. That takes a little getting used to. It blanks out over shallow iron & warbles on deep it on. I hunted right under power lines also. It was smooth.

Good to hear the AI is working well for you. I should have mentioned it reverses the tones, however, if you go the the rear LCD menu and scroll down to 'Response' and change it from 'Normal' to 'Inverted' you get the tones the same as a normal DD coil. HH

filternozzle said:

Good to hear the AI is working well for you. I should have mentioned it reverses the tones, however, if you go the the rear LCD menu and scroll down to 'Response' and change it from 'Normal' to 'Inverted' you get the tones the same as a normal DD coil. HH
So if I invert the tones it will not alternate low high high low then? It'll report high low high low & low high low high when swinging over a target? Depending on target conductivity.

Digger70pa said:

So if I invert the tones it will not alternate low high high low then? It'll report high low high low & low high low high when swinging over a target? Depending on target conductivity.

The AI coil will give exactly the opposite High/Low, Low/High sounds to a DD coil. That is a DD coil will give a High/Low tone on small shallow or low conducting targets, the AI will give on the same targets Low/High. If you use the LCD menu and change Response from Normal to Inverted the AI on the same targets will sound the same as the DD with Responce set to Normal, that is High/Low.

Note on larger deeper and high conducting targets the tones with Response set to Normal will be Low/High for a DD and High/Low for the AI.

For objects really deep or not so deep but very small, the tone is more of a mono cuckoo sound.

The tones change from the front swing to the back swing. so i"m swinging my AI coil to the right it gives me a low high response I come back to the left it gives me a high low response. It's not like a normal DD coil. It switches responses depending witch way you're swinging your coil over a target.