Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coming to Oz, Doc?

lemons

It would be a big 'ask' doc, we are a heck of a long way from anything down here.
Like jackhammer says, good tucker, good gold, but very friendly locals in the bush.

Here's a local . . . http://www.findmall.com/photogallery/displayimage.php?pos=-298

Posted with permission.

lemons

Made my flesh creep too Doc. I was told they prefer lamb.

Last year I was pacific beach fishing up in far north queensland. Didn't have my big rod, just a dicky little telescopic thing. I had to wade out amongst the sting-rays about 20-metres from the beach to get a good cast. The sting-rays just brushed past your feet if you stood still and were no problem in the murky water . . . unless you stepped on one going in or out.

I saw a lot of others fishing further down the beach and they all kept a couple of meteres away from the waters edge . . . sissy foot folk I though, afraid to get there feet wet, Ha!

An old bloke with his dog came up the beach next day while I'm out trying to 'jag' something with a lure. He was buck-naked but had a walking cane and a nice hat. I went in to say G'day. . . as you do.
Seems they have a name for my southern-style of fishing in the waters up there . . . Croc-bait.

Strewth!

lemons

Jeez Lemons. I cant believe you were silly enough to do that! I hope the life insurance is well paid up.

Crocs along the coast are as common as pig schite these days now culling has been outlawed.
They even turn up regularly on the beach at Cardwell right next to the Pacific Highway.
A smallish saltwater croc was caught last year wandering along a street in Cairns and all the creeks in Cairns have Croc alert signs on them.
I have fresh water crocs in my dam here in the Palmer.

For our Yank readers there are Salties (Crodillius porosus) and Freshies (C. johnstoni).
Salties get big and will take a full grown bull. Freshies are fish/bird eaters and relatively harmless.

Watched a freshy stalk and kill an Ibis a couple of months ago in my dam as I had breakfast. Quite an experience.

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE TOO!!!
This is a photo from the Kimberley regionof WA/NT. I received it from a mate.
As you can see the roo in the water looks bloody heavy and the snake is anchored along the rock crevises. Don't know if he managed to snag it though!
Enjoy.
Trev

ROOT ME BOOT... went fishing without a .44 long barrel on ya hip...GEES...HAVE u made a will.

DOC ya pussy.....This is good trout bate....found in my bed last trip west....thought the it was walm that night...thought i was dreaming about my x

It's not all that bad Doc, you're more likely to be savaged by a camel than eaten by a itty-bitty carpet snake.

Though, those layers in the Kimberley, after seeing that picture, I can see the damn things moving . . .

JH and Dave, I though the Crocs would all be up around the top end that late in the year (sept) and well, you know . . . stupid! No bloody fish either. Something was scaring them away.

Yep, we all better be careful out there!

lemons

Here is another file I received earlier this year. There as a few photos but its worth the wait! These snakes are amazing!
Trev

A perplexing question you pose Gary!

Methinks, some great scrawny drongo, 6'6" covered in feathers, screaming and flapping its wings will scary the living daylights out any beast, Let alone a croc.

The very thought of Jackhammer in a chicken suit fills me with glee.

OH YA think do ya...well getting me into one may be a tad unpleasant...and ill be in PORT DOUGLAS..in a couple of months...gunna see if i can catch a ray on a fly rod....and throw out a live bait for a croc.......however fishing for barra on the Jadine river while pigshooting is a story in itself....gawd that was a hoot..
maybe ill enlighten some of u blokes with another story about a trip to the TOPEND some years ago...

jh

If the locals see you in one of those you are likely to be shot on sight.
If you get out this way then we have heaps of pigs at the moment. I have one wander past my camp on the opposite side of the dam most days. Target practice from the dinner table!
Bring 2 rifles (call it rent!) as I dont have one at the moment.
The fishing wont be crash hot, but you will get pigs and maybe some gold.
See you then.

Say Dave, are the pigs really that bad just now?
How do you handle them when out detecting and you disturb a boer in the scrub. Aussies don't generally pack handguns for protection and I can't even imagine doing a runner in detecting kit and trying to climb a tree. . . always wanted to know how you cope in the north with things like this. . . . and gympie stingers you don't see. . .

lemons

If I meet a Boer in the bush I generally sit down and have a chat about the rugby and cricket. I have always found South Africans nice blokes! :)

On the other hand when I come across a boar I make as much noise I possible and they head the other way. I have never been attacked, but scared a couple of times.

The dry season is in full swing, so pigs can be expected to be closer to the permenant water and thus we are seeing more of the blighters.

The Gympie bush is not found up my way, thank goodness. Bloody horrid stuff.

For the uninitiated, it is a very broadleafed bush with some sort of stinging cells which give you a real touch up and last for a couple of days. Water makes it worse.
There are tales, probably true of people using these leaves as toilet paper. The effects are too dreadful to even contemplate!

OOOOOh! so quick Dave, so quick.
That's what happens with advancing age. . . you get all the auotmatic responses screwed.
I said to a young bloke in the shop today . . . 'my dog has fleas' or some other mundane response to his "how are ya" . . it bugged me for hours afterwards.
There's a name for it. Dementia. . . comes to mind.

I sure hope jackhammer is reading and writing as we speak. Come on Scotty, let's have it!

lemons

HELL NO......i,m still dreaming up ways to get even..

Dave u cant have my 7 mill but a choice of .44 mag auto rifle with reflex 2xlaser dot scope(throws about an oz of lead 150 ysd)anything over 40ft throw rifle...kidding i love this rifle
or a .243 blunderbus cut down to a 10 1/2 " barrel with a 10x power zoom to 3( and 4 sets of ear plugs)good scrub rifle bolt action..good for starting bush fires and great shooter out to about 250 yds resonable flat shooter... .17 rifle 10x redfield scope shoots the eye out of a needle at 400 yds...drops roos with headshots at 500 ysd on a good night with no wind.. this rifle has dropped 3 bufflo with a 17 grain proj...gees dave .22 rifle is all ya need on those little pigs gees or a pig sticker..anything smaller than a 300lb RIDGE BACK use the 22 make it an interesting contest.....and one shot kills only please...and ill be on ya roof of ya shed watching the fun

jh

Why not make it a real challenge and use subsonics in the .22 blindfolded!
The .243 will be just tickety-boo I reckon mate. Thanks!
Probably the best calibre up here would be the old 30-30 Winchester with open sights. Because it is so hilly there isnt a lot of long range stuff and a scope isnt really that important.

The .17 would be a beautiful rifle to use. They were all the go back in the 70's when fox skins were $30 a pelt. But a bit light on up here. Mind you I have knocked a buffalo with a .222 at 200 yrds, but I wouldnt like to try that again if he was angry!