Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass 77 Auto Legend

Sven

Got this a few months ago.
Checked it out and it works as intended on the bench.
Just need some good weather.

Aaahhh, a trip down memory lane. I don't recall the 1990 introduction of the "Legend", but I was quite familiar with the original 77b. There were still a few 77b and 94b in-use, when I started in about 1976-ish.

But even then, they were quickly being put into "dinosaur" class, by the newfangled TR discriminators, VLF all-metal, and then VLF motion disc. (aka GEB).

I will never forget, in 1980, my city tore out all their downtown sidewalks in an urban renewal project. Multiple metal detectors were down there every night scarfing up on the sidewalk demo. goodies ! I had my Garrett Groundhog. A buddy of mine had his 6000D. I recall seeing a Bounty hunter Red Baron, etc..... And then we saw a fellow with his sad-sorry 77b show up. We smuggly looked at him with disdain, as we sported our "latest greatest" discriminators. We felt pity for the poor fellow, for swinging that antique :(

Imagine our surprise, when he spanked everyone else 5x to 1x on old coins ! So much so, that the local paper even ran an article on his finds from the sidewalk tearout.

I was only in High school at the time, and simply couldn't understand it. I distinctly remember going to him, in the weeks that followed, asking him how he'd done it. He tried to explain that the 77b "didn't see the nails". But at the time, that made no sense to me. I mean, gee, we have discriminators that "don't see nails" either. So what kind of sense did that make ?

It wasn't till years later, that I began to understand the difference between "discriminate out" and "see through". Ie.: the "masking" concept.