Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Connecticut Ghost Towns

Charles B

Wow....I'm getting a late start today Feb. 8. 2013. Weatherman is calling for up to 3 feet of snow in New England so I had to make a quick trip up to Connecticut to rescue Betsy's Mom (Mother-in-Law) and get her out of there before the power goes out. Ct. has had 4 serious storms in 2 years with outages that last days to weeks. If you're into beach detecting some of these storms have really turned over the bottom and the sand. So anyway drove nearly 800 miles in 13 hours, round trip....but I'm back, full of coffee and ready to write until I get a cramp in my hand on the Ghost Towns of Connecticut!

ALLYN

BLACK ROCK FORT, New Haven County, Connecticut

South of I-95, on east side of Newhaven Harbor, just northwest of Forbes Bluff, a couple hundred yards offshore from Fort Nathan Hale Park and 300 yards due south of Fort Nathan Hale, just west of the Tweed-New Haven Regional Airport.

It was also known as Fort Hale and Rock Fort. It was built in the Spring of 1776 and was garrisoned by 19 troops. It was built to protect the post of New Haven. On July 5, 1779 the fort fell to British troops. It was subsequently abandoned. In the early 1800s a new fort was built nearby and christened Fort Nathan Hale. It was rebuilt for the nation

BURRVILLE, Litchfield County, Connecticut

This former iron foundry town is located in the Naugatuck River Valley, on the east side of Burr Pond, just west of SH 8, about 15 miles northwest of Hartford. It had a post office from 1849-1928.

As late as 2002, the closed Torrington Drive-In (movie theater) was still located in Burrville, although inoperative. It is now part of the town of Torrington. A brick tavern was said to be remaining in the early 1980s.

Latitude: 41.8684293 / 41

CAMP DUTTON, Litchfield County, Connecticut

This was a Civil War training camp for the Nineteenth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, which consisted of 10 companies with about 815 men. It was established on August 19, 1862 and was located on Chestnut Hill, east of present-day SH 63 on open land off Camp Dutton Road, about two miles southeast of Litchfield.

The camp was named after Lt. Henry M. Dutton of the 5th Connecticut Volunteers. He was killed in action ten days before. On September 11 the regiment mustered into the United States Army, and four days later boarded a train for New York City. Exact location not determined.

Junction SH 63/Camp Dutton Road:

Latitude: 41.7300578
Longitude: -73.1857359

Junction Camp Dutton Road/Chestnut Hill Road:

Latitude: 41.7341652
Longitude: -73.1708336

COBALT, Middlesex County, Connecticut

A community with a population of 300-350. This near ghost town is at junction of SH 66/151, on east side of Connecticut River, six miles east of Middletown.

Cobalt Landing is located along the river just southwest of Cobalt at the mouth of Great Hill Pond Brook. The Cobalt Post Office (06414) has been operating since February 8, 1851.

The GNIS aerial photo shows a scattered community with a handful of commercial buildings at the crossroads, along with a number of houses.

Cobalt:

Latitude: 41.5623212 / 41