Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering a deus...what would it give me over a cz...

Silverbackbob

other than weight and better in iron?? I like the depth and simpleness of my cz but am open to new detectors. Thanks in advance for any replies from those who have used both. HH. Bob.

Having used both, I can add the Deus has a much faster recovery speed, so it's better in trash ( DD coil helps). Plus, due to the ability to run in single 18khz mode, it is more sensitive to smaller gold and lower conductive targets. The ability to set tone breaks, and run with different tone settings is a plus. The audio is great on it. One more thing...wireless ! Never thought I would care for it much but not having cable wire and headphone wire to deal with while hunting really is nice. And there is NO LAG with the wireless functionality. Super quick and they really did a great job implementing that feature.

The CZ is deeper and better on salt water beaches. I have run the Deus on wet, salt sand and it works fine and there is chatter, but targets still stand out when hit. Can't dunk the coil and hunt in the suds/knee deep water without an antenna attachment. But I did not by the Deus to water hunt ! It's a trash and iron site hunting demon. And it's a killer dry sand unit hunting for gold jewelry and coins among the garbage.

I think the CZ hits better on silver deeper and will ID deep silver more accurately.

A CZ and Deus in the arsenal are a great combo. I am definitely keeping my Deus, and will always have CZ's.

I agree with you on the simplicity of a CZ. One can optimize a CZ in about 30 seconds and once you learn a CZ, you can be away from that unit for a year and remember how to set it up and run when you use it again.

The interface on the Deus is easy to navigate after a bit of getting used to. At first it looks like it's going to be tough but it is not at all. Very easy to get around the menus and change settings.

One thing I cannot get to work at this point is a pair of regular headphones. For some reason the smaller jacks on my headphones are not engaging with the control unit. No big deal, as I have the WS5 headphones and they are very comfortable, but I would like to try out some of my other headphones on it.

All in all the Deus is a super unit and a pleasure to hunt with. Winner in my book. Hope this helps.

therover said:
Having used both, I can add the Deus has a much faster recovery speed, so it's better in trash ( DD coil helps). Plus, due to the ability to run in single 18khz mode, it is more sensitive to smaller gold and lower conductive targets. The ability to set tone breaks, and run with different tone settings is a plus. The audio is great on it. One more thing...wireless ! Never thought I would care for it much but not having cable wire and headphone wire to deal with while hunting really is nice. And there is NO LAG with the wireless functionality. Super quick and they really did a great job implementing that feature.

Which coil are you using? I assume since you referred to the DD coil, you are using the 11 X 13??? I'm making the transition myself as well later this week and I feel like a 7 year old waiting on a mail-order toy!!!
So you're saying that the CZ will hit silver DEEPER than a Deus??? I find that hard to believe, but will put the CZ-6 and Deus head-to-head in my test garden soon enough. I've pulled silver dimes from 8-9" on occasion with the CZ in clean soil, but this is a rare occurence. Probably has something to do with the 5kHz freq it uses, and the fact that it also uses 15kHz makes it excel on tot lots and beaches.

First off, good questions.

I am using the stock 8 inch coil on my CZ6a's for comparison to the Deus, and using the standard 9 inch DD on the Deus. My 6a's are units I have had for 20 years, and I have tons of time on them, so my ear is trained for CZ use more than any other unit. I have found silver dimes at 10-11 inches here in NJ, in mild soil since the places I hunted are not mineralized. I run the 6a's at 4.5-5 sensitivity most times, and can jack it up, but they are then more prone to iron falsing and there isn't much if any extra depth gain when using a sensitivity higher than 5 for the most part.

I have not had the Deus long at all, and to me it seems it runs best at the higher frequencies, which lean toward hitting lower conductors a bit better than higher conductive targets like US silver. Seems the Deus hits the small hammered silver in Europe great, but I do believe those guys run at 12 and 18khz due to those coins 'acting' like lower conductors due to how small they are.

Testing the Deus in all 4 frequencies in my test garden, it hits the 7-8 inch silver coins ok, but cannot hit the 10+ inch silver quarter I have. Now the caveat is, this is in some of the preset programs so I have not tried to optimize it yet. But some of the pre-sets do run at high sensitivity settings, but I still will try to see if I can squeeze out that quarter. The CZ, with the stock 8 inch coil, hits the quarter hard and repeatable, so this tells me the CZ does better on deeper silver...at least for me and my knowledge base of the CZ and Deus at this time.

Curious to see the results of your testing with the CZ6. Got some crappy weather here now, but I am going to go back out to the test garden with the Deus when I get a chance, and run it in several settings/configurations and see what transpires.

therover said:
I have not had the Deus long at all, and to me it seems it runs best at the higher frequencies, which lean toward hitting lower conductors a bit better than higher conductive targets like US silver. Seems the Deus hits the small hammered silver in Europe great, but I do believe those guys run at 12 and 18khz due to those coins 'acting' like lower conductors due to how small they are

What exactly do you mean that it "runs better in 12-18 kHz" is it chattering? Falsing? Just trying to glean some info for when I start messing around in my yard getting started - I will have the large coil and I've heard they run a bit deeper proportionately in 4 and 8 kHz vs the 9" stock coil...just happened to get a good deal on this one but if I had my choice I would go with the new 11" round coil - seems to be getting a lot of good reviews lately.

I got the WS5 phones today and played with em a bit to see what was adjustable - looks like I can switch freqs with the press of a button, on the fly, to help with an audio ID of the target. Awesome! The remainder of the machine should be here by the end of the week so results are forthcoming very soon

Another question though: Is your test garden for clean targets or are there some with some salted nails, tabs, etc??? My CZ has NEVER hit a quarter past 10" in any test garden, but air testing is a different story. Only thing air test are somewhat good for IMO is depth in woodchips for tot lots, etc - haven't seen much else to compare it to. I find that exceeding 6" for copper/silver coins if there's any trash nearby is a real problem for the CZ, and I just cleaned out the coil cover last week which seemed to help out somewhat - found a couple wheats today around 7" that sounded strong, but this was clean soil. There are areas of my front yard that are almost impossible to hunt because of the iron - whether it be nails, caps, or bolts - the poor CZ just can't hack it!!! Interested to see what the Deus can do here since I'm 99% positive there are coins under all tha crap :biggrin:

Until you use the Deus, and compare it to your CZ, can you make a final determination and ascertain it's strengths and potential weaknesses in the areas and conditions you hunt.

For hunting in trash, iron laden sites, audio, feature set, upgradability and overall ergonomics, the Deus is a super detector. It is a unit I will keep in my arsenal for a long time. It has a lot of great features and getting a second coil amounts to having another detector, which is cool in my book ! You can set up a newbie in 2 minutes to start hunting and finding coins while you mosey to another area and hunt yourself.

As far as your CZ not being able to hit a 10 inch silver quarter, it could be a myriad of things, soil conditions and trash masking the main ones. The 4 CZ's I have (which are older, Los Banos units), can all hit my 10+ inch silver quarter in my test garden with the stock 8 inch coil, with repeatable high tones. Just a note...I ALWAYS run my CZ's in 0 discrimination setting. I am just used to listening to all targets, even if some areas end up sounding like machine gun circus music. I have sniffed out numerous silver coins among iron and trash listening and isolating repeatable high tones.

Bottom line is, I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the Deus.

Keep us posted on the new 11 inch coil if you get it...I am thinking about one myself.