Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Correlating VDI Numbers with Coins

mrwilburino said:

Thank you very much. I have a bunch of coins and others items glued to a paint stirring stick which I was going to run across the Deus's coil and come up with some numbers, but is a lot better, thanks again.

Bill

Hey, Rockstar here.

I am coming from an AT Pro and I looked at the VDI # very closely

I have had the Deus for 4 months and I do mostly coin and jewelry

I am lost on this thing, I dig trash to no end.

I hunt in lower central Michigan

Any help would be appreciated

Rockstar

I sense the frustration but the Deus is tough to beat when it comes to coin and jewelry hunting.

Have you done testing in a test garden or on in-ground targets? Listen to the audio as that is more accurate than the TID values especially on deeper targets. Real deep targets will likely not produce a TID value at all so if you are looking for that, you will miss the older targets you are probably looking for.

What exactly are you "lost" on . . . . if you can add some details, we can probably help you figure it ouot.

There is one entire chapter on this in the book that will be out soon and hopefully that will help you as well.

Let us have a few more details and work you through your frustration

Andy Sabisch

I believe he is having trouble with the VDI numbers being different with each frequency (not normalized).

detectordude said:
mrwilburino said:

Thank you very much. I have a bunch of coins and others items glued to a paint stirring stick which I was going to run across the Deus's coil and come up with some numbers, but is a lot better, thanks again.

Bill

This is where you are making a mistake in my opinon. As Andy said you need to bury the coins to get your numbers. The real problem is that at different depths the Deus gives diffrent numbers. Mine will be close to air test numbers at approx.4 inches give or take a little but past that the numbers change.The next problem is that they have a tendence to change in different soils.
Extreme example is i can air test a buffalo nickle and get a 42 to 44 reading but once i bury that coin in my soil at 6" the numbers bounce between high 70s to low 80s.

Then when you change freq. the numbers change.

Seeing as the Deus has a 4 tone option you could set it up somewhat to high tone on most coins.If the 1st tone was seperate from the disc. it would work out better but it is what it is so notch may come in handy here.

Just my limited experience ramblings.
J Piddle

Mineralisation, ground balance and depth will alter the TID numbers.

They will hit in the same region, but could just bounce in or out your disc or notch level.
I always start out with the basic program, get a feeling for the sensitivity/ground balance of the area your hunting.
Then start tweaking the disc level, tone breaks, notch level.

Store the program, next time you visit the spot, you're relaxed, everything set up like you want it.
Prepare to be amazed.

A notebook is your best asset when running the Deus.

Frank in NH said:
So you are saying we have a $2000 beep and dig detector?

I would not go that far but if you wanted to you could say that it is the most adjustable beep and dig on the market. It also has 4 Freq. that you can use,making it four machines in one.Not sure if there is another detector that is faster and beter seperating capablites than the Deus if the speed is nessary and the ability to adjust that speed to the location or needs/wants of the user.It is also the lighest and most compact detector out there.It has different headphone options including real wireless.

And to add to that other than the Minelabs most machines suffer from the same VID problems at depth as the Deus.

Frank in NH said:
So you are saying we have a $2000 beep and dig detector?

Well, that is what mine does,.... problem is in heavy trash it goes beep more often.
And I have to dig coins more often,...

Maybe the Deus just likes my northern Ohio soil, but I haven't seen as much of the number skewing as others have. As long as there isn't a nearby target dragging the numbers up or down, coins will ID pretty closely out of the ground to what they do in the ground. Another thing that affects ID is the corrosion factor. Long buried nickels, pennies and other corrodeable coins will lose a few points on the VDI. I tested a number of buffalo nickels and wheat pennies that I found against buffs and wheats that have never been buried. At 8kHz the "never-buried" coins all came in at the same VDI numbers posted in the above conductivity chart. The "found" nickels all read 2-4 points lower (even after the corrosion was removed) while the wheats came in anywhere up to 8 or 9 points lower. Not sure what it is that the ground does to them.......:shrug:

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
BUT ALL THE PROBLEMS
ARE GONE, NOW THAT I PUT IN THE V3.1
I PUT THE THING ON CRAIGSLIST FOR SALE
THE NEXT DAY V3.1 CAME OUT
I GAVE IT ONE MORE TRY
IT HAS BEEN SUPER
I THINK THE V2.0 WAS NOT WORKING RIGHT
AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP