Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Could this be a meteorite?

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on if this could have a good chance of being a meteorite. Has a weight of slighty over 52.5 grams. It's only about 2 1/4 inch long (longest point) and only a 1/2 inch wide. Highly magnetic (small neodymium magnet will stick on the side of it). Fourth and fifth pic shows the magnetivity of it, there's a small rectangular magnet sticking to the left side of it. Found it in north Georgia, Dawson county area. First thought was maybe some kind of hematite or magnetite. But there is visible sepetate metallic specks/slivers I seen especially on the grinded part with no exterior or interior holes or bubbles. Also I thought the rusting looked off to be magnetite/hematite and no reddish streak. I know finding a meteorite is really rare, maybe some other mineral I'm not familiar of?
IMG_20230221_215044105.jpg
IMG_20230221_215057698.jpg
IMG_20230221_215224275.jpg
IMG_20230221_215907507.jpg
IMG_20230221_215704016.jpg
IMG_20230221_220017889.jpg

I'm going to say no and here's why. The red streak test would show red for hematite but dark gray for magnetite. Also the yellow mineral looks like there is some crystalline structure and thickness too it from the reflections so it's not rust. And if a meteorite that mineral would have burned off way before landing. My guess is it's magnetite.

I have found three meteorites, two are normal ones, the third is a stony meteorite. I had them checked out and they are all meteorites.
I have an meteorite information file. Will send it to you guys for an attachment so you can read what some guys who purportedly are experts on finding meteorites. Melbeta

Attachments

• Meteorites_S_NP_vs5.0.Pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 133