Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cousin's V3 Deus water hunting

Finder82

My cousin today was 4 hours in the water with his V3 Deus, while i was at work. He scored one gold and seven silver rings with the Deus:

All the trash he dug is also in the picture...Click the picture to make it bigger.:)

Nice work in the water.. I have only water hunted a few times and never with the Deus but his good finds to junk ratio is amazing. All of the legal water hunting places around here are loaded with trash.

So I guess you just wear the headphones, leave the remote behind, and dig by sound while hoping you don't fall in over your head? Looks like a great hunting location. Great finds!

Diggler said:
So I guess you just wear the headphones, leave the remote behind, and dig by sound while hoping you don't fall in over your head? Looks like a great hunting location. Great finds!

Wearing headphones, remote is hanging around the neck in a waterproof bag for checking id numbers and who said anything about falling over.:bouncy:

Finder82--

What do you or your cousin use as an antenna/signal carrier between the coil and the remote? I thought the wireless won't work in more than a couple of inches of water without an antenna wire. The Deus manual lists one as an option but haven't seen it available yet. But I have seen pictures of a few homemade ones.

Rich

samandnoah said:
Finder82--

What do you or your cousin use as an antenna/signal carrier between the coil and the remote? I thought the wireless won't work in more than a couple of inches of water without an antenna wire. The Deus manual lists one as an option but haven't seen it available yet. But I have seen pictures of a few homemade ones.

Rich

Just a regular white tv cable.

Finder82 said:

Thanks, Finder. Does it need to be a specific length? That's what seemed to be implied by some of the other threads on the topic when I was researching this. Also, if you've got the controller in waterproof pouch hanging around your neck, how do you "'attach" the wire or keep it in contact with the controller unit? Sorry for all of the questions, but I have little in the way of intuitive imagination -- I need specific instructions! :)

Thanks very much in advance,
Rich

samandnoah said:
Finder82 said:

Thanks, Finder. Does it need to be a specific length? That's what seemed to be implied by some of the other threads on the topic when I was researching this. Also, if you've got the controller in waterproof pouch hanging around your neck, how do you "'attach" the wire or keep it in contact with the controller unit? Sorry for all of the questions, but I have little in the way of intuitive imagination -- I need specific instructions! :)

Thanks very much in advance,
Rich

It needs to be a specific length, but i dont remember what the length was. The wires end is just attached outside the pouch with a duct tape, near the speaker hole.

If your asking about the length of the exposed copper core it is 1 3/8". The length of the cable should be a minimum of approx 6' it you wish to wear it around your neck. Mine is longer. Good luck.

Terry(Mi) said:
If your asking about the length of the exposed copper core it is 1 3/8". The length of the cable should be a minimum of approx 6' it you wish to wear it around your neck. Mine is longer. Good luck.

Terry --

Thanks for that clarification. When I was reading prior posts, I had mistakenly understood that the entire wire was supposed to be a specific length. I got it now! And I'm assuming that same length of exposed copper core on both sides, one for the coil, and the other for the controller. Easy enough!

Thanks,
Rich

hi there... i have been trying to get my deus to work here in saltwater but to no avail... can you share the setting that your cousin was using? was he hunting in saltwater or freshwater?

fishingdevil said:
hi there... i have been trying to get my deus to work here in saltwater but to no avail... can you share the setting that your cousin was using? was he hunting in saltwater or freshwater?

I dont know what the settings are and he is hunting in freshwater for now.

fishingdevil said:

One thing everyone needs to be realistic about is that there no one detector that does it all and does it better than anything else out there. If there was, all the other companies would be out of business . . . :wiggle:

With that, the Deus clearly stands out in a number of areas including SOME forms of beach & water hunting (hence a chapter devoted to this in the new book). But when it comes to salt water hunting in areas where you have both black sand AND salt water, the Deus is still a single frequency detector . . . . and there is not much you can change in that area. In areas where you only have one challenge or the other (black sand OR salt water, the appropriate GB range can be selected to eliminate the problem.) When it comes to the areas where both are present, you need to see which of the two has the biggest impact . . . and select the GB range to address that (BEACH = YES or NO) as a starting point.

I have used the Deus in southern Florida where there is no black sand in the water with good performance. Moving up the coast to Georgia / South Carolina, the black sand starts to be a factor and I have had to try both ranges and see which allows for the best performance. That may even change on what seems to be a single section of beach. I hunted Myrtle Beach and at the north end I was able to use the BEACH = YES range while at the southern end by the last fishing pier, I had to opt for the BEACH = NO to get the performance I was looking for.

If you are expecting multi-frequency (Minelab or Fisher) or PI performance, I go back to the "be realistic in your expectations" statement I made at the start of this post . . . . . so if you are strictly a salt water hunter in areas where there is black sand, a second detector might be what you need. On the other hand, I have found gold chains and small pieces of jewelry that would not even make a beep if you placed them on the coil of one of the multi frequency detectors . . . large items are fine but the small stuff is a problem for those circuits.

If you can give us an idea as to where you are trying to hunt and what the black sand content of the beach is, we will be in a better position to provide you with some suggestions in terms of settings

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much on the reply. Maybe we should even start a new topic on this...

Ok, first, to address some concerns about expectations.. I'm not expecting it to perform like MLF... Then again, I've not tried those to know.
What I'm hoping is to just be able to have a setting that allows me to still be able to pick up stuff with as little chatter as possible.

The beach I'm hunting has beautiful white dry sand, and when u get nearer to the water - coarse sand.. Then when it's at it's lowest tide, coarse sand with black or grey sand at the bottom.

From what I'm hearing from you, I'd suppose I may need to lower my expectations e
even further during lowest tide.. :)

Ok, just help me out here... For hunting in the water, what's the GB setting that I should use? And your recommended sensitivity? >> I know mine will be different but I just want to have a feel of how you decide on each setting so that I may tweak my own.

Does the above made sense?