Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-70 OR CZ-3D

A

Anonymous

Hey, everyone! I have been metal detecting for about
a year here in the Laurel mountains of Pennsylvania
(Somerset County)using a Garrett GTAX 750 which has
done ok,loves pennies! I am looking to purchase a Fisher and have narrowed it down to the CZ-70 or the
CZ-3D.With either one I am also going to purchase the
5" coil (HOCKEY PUCK).Performance wise which would be
the best to use for coinshooting (old & new) in soil
that is high in minerals and better at ignoring iron
crap! It would also be used for beach combing on occasions.Everyones input willbe greatly appriciated In helping me decide.
THANKYOU IN ADVANCE!

Basically its all about analog(cz3D) or digital (cz70)....both are as deep and handle mineralization about the same way...Factors to consider..CZ70 is weather resistant, has superior notching system, has pistol grip, CZ3D on the other hand has an S handle,
has two modes one for older areas and one for newer areas. A trip to your local Fisher dealer might be in order to try them on for size...

The only thing to add to Dan's comments on the older sites. The 3D is good at putting certain Indian head pennies and V-nickels into a hi(coin) tone causing you to dig them. If you dig all mid tones on the 70, you'll get them too. These units love pennies also. They do not differentiate between a penny or a dime or a quarter. They're all coins to it.
Don't pass up on digging zinc penny signals with the 3D as many IHs fall into that category.
Dave

As a beach detectorist my initial setup is zero disc with a "dig all" approach, but I can, and do, disc out zincs when they become pesky.
The trade-off? I've recovered some gold rings prior to discing out Zinc. Alloyed gold can be found throughout the entire spectrum of conductivity.
I use the CZ 7A Pro which is identical to the 70, save for the added tone and the cosmetic change of Icons from square tab to "Relic".
I personally consider the weather-proofing, although limited, an essential feature. It allows me to detect in light rain and my detector was not damaged one day when I was up against a deep cut and was knocked down and dragged outward with the receding water and sand.
While the 3D may be a great detector in it's intended environment, it offers me zilch in my primary application as a beach detectorest.
Just a few things to consider when buying a detector.
Chet

Everyone forgot to mention that the CZ70 can notch out zincs...if you want to. It is a little slower in it's recovery speed when switching modes...but hey...it's got a backlit meter. Now you can hunt after dark.
The CZ3D is great too...Both are depth performers!

Hey Brian, Like Chet said, the CZ-70Pro is alot more comfortable, than the CZ3D, because of the straight shaft handle configuration. The weatherproof factor is also a biggy, and depending on your eyesight, the digital display is alot easier to read than the analog display of the CZ3D. That was the key factor for me, when deciding whether to buy a CZ3D or a CZ-70Pro, and I decided on the CZ-70Pro.
But, like Dan(Pa) advised, it would be to your advantage to make a trip to a dealer, that has both models in stock, and do a comparison. Or, you could check for a local metal detecting club in your area, attend a meeting, and see if any of the membership has those two detectors. Then ask them if they would take you out with those detectors for a demonstration. Hope this helps, hh, NamvetLesTreasureSeeker

Superior notching ought to cover notching out Zincs, have to add a nice watch, large gold ring or large gold bracelet along with a indian head penny and two cent piece can also be lost. Gosh I don't night hunt but the night light is sure one fine feature for dim light or indeed for night hunting..Personally some like the pistol grip and some like the S handle indeed a trip to your local club or Fisher dealer will allow you to see both and make a more exact decision...

its a well proven machine, and its splash proof so they say. I think everyone should have a CZ70 in their bag of tricks.
HH,
Mike

and hunt at night so the back light really comes in handy.

Brian,
To a point it depend on what types of sites you hunt and how much trash your are willing to dig. The CZ-3D is geared totally for older sites with a minimal amount of modern trash. I use the 3D in some parks that are still in use now but go back 100+ years. It's been detected hard over the years and the 3D has been able to pull quite a few keepers out of these parks. I have a good bit of a tolerance for digging trash to get older coins. If you hunt more modern areas then the 3D might not be for you. You can dig alot of trash with it. Both detectors are pretty close to each other in depth... I have seen post claiming one is deeper than the other... and visa-versa. So, they must be pretty close to one another. I am not going to rehash what alot of people have already said about each detector. Both are good detectors. I live up towards Altoona were do you live in Somerset County?
-Bill

I to am considrering both machines and like you, wondering which would be better. Unfortunatley, no Fisher dealers around me to try them both.
So let us all know which one you purchased and more importantly how you like it.
I am personally leaning towards the 3d myself, I need to make a decision soon for the weather is starting to break.
Good luck with your decision.
Jeff

I am new to Fisher metal detectors, but not metal detecting, About a year ago I asked the very same question. Dan & Mike did not steer me wrong I have used the cz70 pro for a little over a year now. I too owned a gtax 750 couldn't get any real depth so I bought an xlt, still no real appreciable depth for the money I payed for it. So I bought a fisher cz70 pro and in the first three months I found more than I had with the gtax and xlt together. I have a friend at work who bought the cz3d and hates it, but I tried to tell him it is no good in trashy areas. I have never owned a cz3d so I cannot give an honest opinion, I do however own two cz70 pros (thats right two) That should give you an idea how good this detector is. I have dug barber dimes at 7" to 8" with a solid hit. good luck with your choice you won't be dissappointed with a fisher.

Just found a 10k classring that read Zinc.. Notching is not for me.. Listen to the signals ,then decide. Notch and leave them for the rest of us.. just my opinion....

I dig more, but I want to find more. Because gold can read the same as foil pulltabs or zinc. I think anything in the lower spectrum. I believe it changes catagories depending on the gold content.