Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DAVE J- Question on Batteries 9V

Giantprawn60

Hi Dave,

This may have already been answered but I can't find it on the forum.

What is/was the thinking behind setting the G2/G2+/Goldbug Pro to take 9v batteries? Is it convinency of carrying only 1 battery vs 4 ? Or is there a "deeper" meaning to it?

Thanks

No deeper meaning, it's just one of several ways to do it and that way was convenient. In stuff we have under development however we are trending toward AA's.

Dave J. said:
No deeper meaning, it's just one of several ways to do it and that way was convenient. In stuff we have under development however we are trending toward AA's.

get back to work Dave! we want some new machines.... actually I'm really liking my G2+ but I would really like a 'running' depth meter along with ID #'s while in all-metal...G3 coming up? looking forward to something 'revolutionary' in a new line also.....
cheers...

btw, I'm using a 6-AA pack I spliced in (carefully) and it runs a looooong, loooooong time....
and I can still pop in a spare 9V if that gives out while in the field...

Ask Tim (Digger70pa). I think that is right. He has probably found more relics with the G2 than anyone out there and logged a greater amount of time. I bought the rechargeable 9v 600 mAh. I've not been out to try those to make any kind of assumption. The weather has been a little nasty here. When I first got the G2+ last fall, I used the 9v Duralast alkaline, and was able to look a couple of long hunts with one battery. However, I kept a spare close. Any time I can get them, I like the rechargeables. I remember the old Whites machines that used 14 AAs. Two packs-------one had eight and the other six. Back then, they were expensive to replace. When we were able to have rechargeables. Wow what a Country.........

In the 5 years I've been doing this 9v battery prices seem to have doubled. I have not noticed a performance difference between rechargeables and other traditional batteries other than they exhaust very quickly at the end of their performance curve. I like using AA better and am glad to see the move that way. Thanks, Dave!

I'm flattered to even be mentioned on here buddy. I use the regular 9 volt battery in my G2. Rayovac Duracell energizer. It doesn't matter I get two 5-6 hour hunts in & change them. I do always have a pack of back up batteries in the truck. HH

G2 seems to like a fresh battery. Gets pretty good battery life, but I wouldn't use it too long once it gets to the last bar. F75/T2 has my favorite battery situation on any detector I've ever used. Good to hear Fisher/Teknetics is trending towards AA batteries.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the clarification. Do you have any hints about the upcoming developments without saying too much?

Tom that is only good for email.
Dave, I want to say I appreciate the move to AAs and THANK YOU for having battery indicators on your company's machines. I have some units without them and even though I always try to have a spare set of batteries with me as I hunt, its irritating as all get out to have to guess where/when I'll need them. Bless you!!!

ha! good one! :) a little google just told me about some 2 potential machines from Tek...

I guess I'm in the minority here but I love the 9 volt battery set up and wouldj hate to see it change. I bought 4 9 volt lithium ion rechargeable batteries and a 4 bank charger for $19.00 on Amazon. I get amazing run time out of them and it's easy and fast to carry a spare and change them. I hunt regularly with a friend with a machine that takes 4 AA's and he's always frustrated with battery changes while hunting. As a bonus my pinpointer uses AA so my 4 pack of rechargeables has covered my bases for months now for less than 20 bucks.

I prefer 9V too. I'd rather carry only 1 extra battery and pop only one in when it needs changing. I wait until they show up on special somewhere and buy two or three 4 packs.

My pointer uses a 9V battery as well.

I love the 9 volts as well. I bought a four pack of rechargable batteries with the charger for twenty bucks delivered. They are awesome!! Someone on here posted a link to them and I haven't found any (standard or rechargable) that last as long.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I own a GBP and read (in the manual I think) that one is not to use 9v rechargables with it because it would diminish detector performance. I'm assuming it's because the actual voltage on rechargables is lower than a fresh standard alkaline, between 7 and 8 volts normally.

I had be looking though at these rechargables that have a 9v form factor and yet they start our fresh at 9.6v or so but the working curve is stable around 9v until it needs charging. They are expensive but had been thinking about getting some.

Can someone comment on this? Thanks.

Just a thought. Any battery will loose voltage the longer it runs your machine. The manufacturer knows your machines best operating voltages and recommend changing the battery when mine gets to one bar. I've never just kept running it to see if performance was affected but I'm thinking it probably would be because of the directions concerning battery life in the manual. I think they have parameters that the use when they put in the battery life indicator. Maybe it's 9.6 v. all the way to 7.2v. perhaps I should check one when it hits one bar. I use an f19 and have had no problem using rechargables. Good luck!

I use 6 recharageable AA's in mine (via 9V battery holder I wired in and placed under the arm cuff for balance).
They work fantastic and I only need to swap them out once per season. I carry a spare 9V just in case which I can
also use in my pin-pointer if needed.

I use the Powerex brand 9.6V batteries in my Gold Bug II
They seem to be the only rechargeable 9V battery that will
last in my detector. Expensive, but worth the money.