Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DD vs Mono for relic hunting

Ok,so I use the GPX 5000 for relic hunting, with the 11 in commander coil. I have read on other forums where you can gain added depth by using the mono series. Not that I think that I need to dig any deeper than where I am at now, but are the mono coils any better for relic hunting? The only mono coils I have ever used have been the Whites 950 that was on my DFX. It seemed to work decent as I remember.

Hello Thunder Dome,

My GPX is mainly used for relic hunting, for me if I was to use a mono coil it would be in areas I have already covered with the DD. Dig only the weaker deeper signals, after a certain depth you don't need a DD because discrimination only works to a certain depth.

That would be one of my reasons, the other is out in open areas away from iron. But mainly for going after weaker deeper signals, look at a mono as a clean up coil it will get you finds beyond the reach of the 11" DD.

But spring for a larger lighter mono, larger than the 11 mono I've seen lightweight elliptical monos.. Stay away from the larger heavy mono coils, the extra weight is not worth the extra depth. There are some lightweight mono coils I think you'll like.

Good luck,
Paul

Thanks Paul, don't know why I didn't just pm you. Knowing all of the detectors you have, that would have been a no brainer. Thanks for the info and I will do some research. Tom and I are going to get them out this week in some fields that back up to a battlefield we have here.

Hope you and Tom score some good finds, you guys live in relic territory rich with history.

Before knowing what a mono could do , sold my only mono coil and since always regretted letting it go. Wasn't until later, realized I could have used that mono as a cleanup coil .

I'll be getting another mono soon, and just this week ordered another 10" x 5" DD Commander. First one quit working, was good for parks and trashy areas of old settlements. I'd like to try the 10" x 5" DD for gold hunting jewelry soccer fields, think it'll be good avoiding surface iron and hair pins.

Good luck, say hello to Tom and the others for me.
Paul

Unless you want to burn up a lot of energy digging deep nails and scrap. PI mono coils are much different than the VLF mono's, zero discrimination. I'm a relic hunter and tested the mono coil in relic fields with horrible results. A large DD was definitely the way to go.

I am not sure if this is still of interest since the question is from April but I just got my 15" DD by Detech. I took it out on the weekend and boy what a difference to the ML 11" DD Spiral. Iron reject works at least down to 8" and the overall sensitivity is just great. I dug quite a few 22 lead bullets well past 12" with a booming signal. It is a heavy coil but with the Pro Swing 45 it is not bad at all. Now I am waiting for the Detech 18" DD open. It should arrive this week.

FschJg said:
I am not sure if this is still of interest since the question is from April but I just got my 15" DD by Detech. I took it out on the weekend and boy what a difference to the ML 11" DD Spiral. Iron reject works at least down to 8" and the overall sensitivity is just great. I dug quite a few 22 lead bullets well past 12" with a booming signal. It is a heavy coil but with the Pro Swing 45 it is not bad at all. Now I am waiting for the Detech 18" DD open. It should arrive this week.

I am interested in your opinion on the Detech 18" DD in comparison to the 15"DD?

This is what I wrote in another thread (GPX Park Hunt):

I recently got the Detech 15" DD spiral and the 18" DD open by Detech. In my testgarden I have a chunk of iron burried 8" deep with iron reject on 6 the stock 11" DD by ML will not null it out. But the 15" spiral will perfectly null it out. So I was eager to test the 18" and what a surprise, it will not give me a blanking signal. So it must be the spiral design that works well with the iron reject.

FschJg said:
This is what I wrote in another thread (GPX Park Hunt):
I recently got the Detech 15" DD spiral and the 18" DD open by Detech. In my testgarden I have a chunk of iron burried 8" deep with iron reject on 6 the stock 11" DD by ML will not null it out. But the 15" spiral will perfectly null it out. So I was eager to test the 18" and what a surprise, it will not give me a blanking signal. So it must be the spiral design that works well with the iron reject.

What size is the chunk of iron?