Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Decision time, should I sell or should I keep the XP Deus until next season

Rick(ND)

We are done up here in ND and got a 3.0 Deus when they first came out this year, had another one for the 2012 season and sold it last fall. The one in 2012 I used it less then 10 hours and thought it was a OK detector and the reason I got another one this year, but only used it one time for a competition hunt as I wasn't able to get out too much and when I did I used my CTX 3030. Now with the season done and money is low I have been debating on selling it again and maybe get another one back in the spring to try to get to use and learn it. I didn't like the back phones on the one in 2012 so I ordered this one with the full headphones and never used them as the hunt I used my Uni Probe to help find the targets faster.
I keep reading all the good finds with the XP Deus and seen where some sold their CTX 3030 after using the XP Dues, so it is going to be a tough to see it go, but yet the money would sure come in handy right now, so it is decision time as being basically new and still has the plastic on it I still should be able to get around $1300-$1400, then again I should keep it and tighten my belt a little more. Been trying to decide for the past month and it is a hard decision for sure.

Rick

I know where you are coming from Rick. I have been in that situation myself and you always hate to sell any machine. Look at it this way, you can always figure on buying another although you will take a loss but if the money is needed then just do it. Many things in life are more important than holding onto a detector.

Just my .02 cents

Rick you have to do what is needed at the time, especially in this day and age. If it was me though, I would be selling the CXT 30x30 and keeping the XP, I'm doing that tonight with my CTX and taking a $300 loss (bought it for $2100 and selling for $1800) but I figured the cost of the Deus makes up for it in value. Then again each his own. Charlie

I want to thank you and Jeff for your input and just feeling out what other think as I had seen one of the guy on the CTX forum also got a XP Deus to try and before long his CTX also was for sale. I also am a strong believer in what Andy Sabish has to say on Field test even though he sells the XP Deus as I found he tells it like it is on all his field test he has done. I believe it can be a great detector for some if you spend the time to get to know it, some don't have the patience to get to know some of these new detectors and will sell them.
On a side note I test all my detectors in my bar I own when it is slow around, it is a older building with many nails and other iron in the floor and this way I can see how well it does around iron with good targets on top of the floor. I did a program I was sure was a good one only to see it was having a hard time seeing the nickle I had on the floor because the nails mask out the nickle. I put it back to the factory setting of basic 1 and now I had no problem seeing this nickle next to the nails and could raise the coil quite a bit and still got a good signal with no problem and didn't hear the nails. I got to go back and read my book of Andy's again when I get it back from loaning it out to a club member that also got a Deus. As many have said it is great right out of the box with the factory setting and once you see what all the function are and how they work can only make it better when you set the right thing at the right time. The only real complaint I have had is it likes rusty bottle caps, but with time and getting to know it well will not be a problem I am sure.

Thanks again for listening and I think I have been talked into keeping the Deus and selling one of the other detector for now and give the XP Deus to my wife for Christmas as I know I can always use it if I want as she has a MXT and Compadre while I have my Sovereign GT and we will see on the CTX 3030, but at this time I will keep it.

Rick

I had the ctx3030 I think the xp deus with the 11" coil is the keeper runs quieter than the ctx.

I had both,
Wanted to keep both,
But an unexpected household expense came up.
Sold the ctx.
If ctx sale doesnt cover the repair, the deus gets sold too.
As passionate as I am about detecting and as hard as these decisions can be, for me its a hobby first.
And its only money. The way I see it these high-end machines hold their value fairly well, and I'm not really losing all that much, if anything if you account for the finds. It's almost like I was renting the machine for the months I had it and when spring comes ill find a new one or a used one for close to what I sold mine for.
Having said that I would have kept both if I could!

I have bought and sold quite a few detectors. I like to try different ones. I have sold some higher dollar detectors and used the money for other things then regretted it down the road when I wanted to try somethign else and didnt have the money then.......I would say if it is already paid for and you dont really need the money I would hold on to it.

n/t

Rick I think you'd be better off keeping it if you don't HAVE to sell it - you never know in case it doesn't get too cold this year you may have the opportunity to have a few hunts. I sold my CZ-5 detector one winter and regretted it later for the simple fact the ground didn't get frozen solid that season. And we know it only takes ONE target to change the course of things :-o)

Wait a minute...you have a wife that also enjoys detecting? You Sir, are one lucky man!:clapping:

I had only one precious family heirloom, it was an 1837 .54 cal percussion pistol carried by my ancestor in the Civil War, still shot and everything...It was handed down to the eldest son through the ages, and I got it from my dad..reason for this story is, I understand when money is a problem, and something has to go...
we got really poor, my wifes father was in the hospital it seemed on deaths bed every by god year, and I would always have to sell something of mine so she could go and be with him..one year it was my grumman canoe, one year it was a bunch of traps, last thing I had was that gun, and I sold it at a pawn shop for 300 bucks just so she could go and be with him...he did die that time, and she was with him at the end, so I was glad I sold it for the right reason...I could not stand the thought of looking at that gun if I had not done it...If you have to, sell anything to make the family happy I guess...whats a feller to do?:shrug:
Mud

Yes I am a very lucky man with the best wife a person can ask for. When I started detecting in 1973 she found out if she wanted to see me much was to also get interested in detecting which she did, so we used to go to many parks while the kids could play we detected. She actually come up with the idea now to go detecting and I don't have to ask her.
I think why she is so good is she was a farmers daughter and we know how good they are.
I really want to keep it and get to learn it well and will do what ever I have to to keep it, but may not be able to so we just have to see what we can do.

Rick

I always sell my deep machine near the end of the season. Ever tried to recover a target at 3" in frozen Kansas dirt? I just can't stand to have a $1500+ detector setting in the closet for 4 months when I can use that cash for other investments and just buy another come the new season.

More expenses, so I have to let it go for now, so it is on the auction site with a reasonable starting bid.

Rick