Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deepstar Results

A

Anonymous

Deepstar Results.
I received the Deepstar a few weeks ago from Eric. Since that time the weather has not been very cooperative at all. The rain is continual, and the wind follows. The only sunny day I had free, and the wind was blowing in so strong off the water it was impossible to do any detecting. Well I finally made it out to the beach to give the Deepstar a go at it.
Let me back up just a bit. The Deepstar is a high powered PI detector designed primary to be used for beach hunting. The unit can be used in very shallow water, but the control box is weather proof, Not Water Proof. I mounted the control box as a chest mount. One can hip mount but you would far more comfortable in the chest mount mode.
The beach I decided to go to has been pretty much been picked over since the end of summer. I went to it because I wanted to test the detector, and see how it would do locating those "deep ones" on a cleaned out beach. I concentrated my searching to the beach area, and not the shallow water. I brought my long handle shovel, and my Miller P handle water scoop. I ended up using the scoop because it was easier to dig with. One hand holding the coil S rod, the other holding the scoop. Just push the scoop in the sand with your foot, and lift it out, dump. I set the Deepstar controls, full power, Sensitivity to half, Frequency to middle, Reject to minimum, and I set the Threshold so I could just hear the sound in the phones.
First hit was a penny at 12". A minute or so later, loud hit, pull tab, fresh drop 4"/5". I played with the Reject control to see where the tab dropped out. Back searching, boosted Sensitivity to full, still stable. In the course of the couple of hours doing the beach I found 5 pull tabs, 3 round aluminum foil bottle cap seals(boy these sound like silver dollars), 3 corroded pennies, 1 nasty looking clad quarter, and my last target a small silver charm. With the exception of the pull tab on the surface all targets were at least 12" in depth, the best I could measure. The silver charm took 4 full scoops to retrieve it. I almost threw it away because it was all black and I thought it was a piece of a hot rock. The best I could tell it was at 15". If I can figure how to run my new digital camera, and post a picture, I will.
Back to shallow water hunting, and this unit. You would need to run this unit in the lower power setting if you were going to use it in the shallow water. All those targets I dug gave a strong signal response, and at those ranges they were no whisper sounding targets. Anything in excess of those depths could create a problem digging in the water. After 2

I would be interested in knowing how well the Deepstar pinpoints targets? At a beach where shovels are not out of place pinpointing can be pretty "loosey goosey" and still be effective but sections where you can't use a shovel without causing a major flap, call for a lot more precision.

I also make an 8in coil for the Deepstar which gives even sharper pinpointing at the sacrifice of some depth.
Eric.