Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth Meter Problem...

I've noticed that the last few times I've been out, the depth indicator does'nt seem to be accurate. Example: Clad Quarter on the surface shows it to be 2-3" deep but it's right on top. Also coins 3" deep showing at least 6" deep on the scale. I have the coil flat on the ground when I sweep. I try sweeping from different angles and it all seems the same. Anyone experience this with their Quattro? Also, the pinpoint box always seems to blacken all the way no matter how deep the target. If I hold the coil up over the target 6-8" in pinpoint, then the box will start to lighten up. I noise cancel regularly, Low Trash, Sens at 15 or 16. I wonder if I should send it in to Minelab for a check up.

No, on coin-sized objects I have found the depth meter to be pretty accurate. On trash and larger items, it's not too accurate. You say you're flat on the ground...that's item one. Obviously if you aren't, that equates to a higher depth reading. And on the shallow targets, 6 to 8" and less, I agree with the depth indicator shading all the way in. On the deeper ones, like some silver dimes, indians, and buttons I've dug...I've seen it be barely a stain on the bottom. You have to have a deep target for that and it doesn't sound like you've had any.

Why is that? Well, my first guess would be sweep speed. If you're used to hunting with another machine that can be hunted fast with, you need to adjust. To get the deep targets, you need to be very methodical in your sweeps and patient. If you're finding older clad coins, wheaties, etc. then you really need to slow down because the silver is there. Second thing would be the sensitivity. If the area is clean you should be able to run as high as 17 or 18. In fields, the woods, and at the beach I run 18 all the time. AT parks, schools, and trashier areas then 17 or maybe 16. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. I doubt there's anything wrong with the machine, but...you say "the last few times I've been out", so does that mean it WAS working better/differently? If so, I guess only you would know. In that case, it might be the machine. You could send it in and find out I guess. I did that with a DFX I had once. It seemed to me that it had suddenly lost all of it's depth. It went from finding a Barber dime at 8.5" to not digging anything over 3 or 4" EVER. I sent it in to them and received it back "Meets all specifications". Not what I wanted to hear.

I'm going to go out hunting again and this time I'm keeping and eye on the depth gauge and make mental notes. I do sweep slow. When I said the coil is flat, I mean that I basically scrub the ground. I've had the Quattro a few weeks, and I've only been out about 7 times for about 1-2 hours at a time. I've gone to areas that have been heavily hunted in the past, by myself and others. I am finding coins. I used to have an Explorer II, but had to sell it last fall. So I am familiar with the FBS technology.

It could be that a few of the surface coins I dug were in extremeley dry soil. Or maybe the angle that they were buried. The first few times out seemed to be fine with no problems. It's just the last few times I noticed this. It could be I'm getting more familiar with this unit.

Last, the pinpoint box. The black bars seem to fill up instantly no matter how deep the target, over a wide area of the signal. I would think that this indicator would work like the depth gauge. If a coin is 6" on the depth gauge, then the pinpoint box would be halfway as well. The same with 3", 4', 5" coin sized targets, etc., and when all the bars are even, you are centered on the target.

The pinpoint box doesn't work like the depth gauge, at least not on mine. It fills up on the shallow and moderately deep targets, but on the deep ones it often doesn't. But the tone is there and there is always SOMETHING showing in the box...sometimes barely rising. I've dug stuff on the beach that was WAY over a foot deep that was like that...practically nothing in the box but diggable signal and pinpoint tone.

Mike, you are correct on the depth gauge. The only thing I remember over 15" deep that filled the screen was a BIG piece of aluminum angle. It was 2' long, bent back over itself. When I hit something that fills the screen I raise the coil high enoungh so it does not fill, do the "wiggle and slides" then lower the coil while getting the shovel. Lots of times I use the sound only during the "wiggle and slides" splitting the difference between one side of max to other. So far I haven't missed the point. (knock on wood).

(and.....yes, I am still looking for a backhoe!)

The depth meter does not operate in "pinPoint" It mentions that in one of the books. The depth of the item needs to be determined prior to switching to pinpoint.

Not sure if you're hunting in grass, but most times we can not keep the loop right on the ground when swinging. If your in grass, you are probably above the ground 1 - 3 inches

Went to a local park. Dug some clad again and this time everything seemed OK with the depth meter. Seemed to be accurate enough. I think the problem was this site I've hunted. It's an old Historical Farm I've hunted for years with various detectors. It has some sort of erratic interference time to time that makes any of the detectors I've used unstable. I've had to dramactically reduce sensitivity, re ground balance with the White's, or noise cancel again on the Minelabs. All of the machines have been affected. It doesn't happen all the time, but it almost seems like a swath cuts through this farm. There are several 1000'+ towers about a mile away. They are for the local TV stations. I always figured they were far enough away, but maybe the are the source. Anyway, the Quattro seems fine. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Jim