Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth of the infinium !?

Luc

Hi PI boys and Girls ,

Want to buy a new PI machine but there is not much to find on the net concerning the depth the Infinium can handle ,I have an ATX that goes deeeee..p but is heavy and produces high drag in the water.
what is the best coil to also find small jewelry, mono or DD ?!
Goes the infinium deeper than the Excalibur !?
Is the Infinium so sensitive on masking as the Excal. !?

Best rgds Luc/ Germany

Stick with the Atx and use the 8 inch mono. The infinium coils are not particularly easy to drag through water. It's not worth getting an infinium if you already have an atx, unless you dive deep. The depth advantage of the finny over the excal depends on the mineralization of the sand. The more minerals, the less depth of the excal.

Thank you Grilled ,

Using the Minelab pro swing on the ATX ...but whats frustrating me is the draft i get with the ATX...and this cam locks constantly filling there self up with sand and grit from cleaning out the sand scoop . (it makes me crazy:ranting: )
just want a PI machine that comes close to the ATX but with less draft and less maintenance ( less stress) .

Luc

I have both the Infinium and ATX, I only use them in the water, mostly salt water. The Infinium finds little use since I bought the ATX, except for one or two beaches with hard packed rocky bottom, then the Infinium with the 8" Mono coil is the only machine I use. The area is highly mineralized. In the water is have no need for the ProSwing, which I also own and use on land/sand. I also own two Excaliburs, one with the WOT coil and the other has the stock 10" coil. Both are great in fresh and salt water, but I find they do not have the depth the Garrett detectors do. That being said, during the summer months the targets are generally shallower and the WOT coil really covers the area FAST and iron is NOT a problem compared to the two Garretts. I have just added a NEL BIG coil to my ATX -- you talk about ground cover, the BIG does IT! But I have to use the ProSwing 45 with that combination on land/sand. As for maintenance, the Infinium wins out over the ATX, but I would not trade my ATX for an Infinium, except for weight and camlocks. The camlocks DO need the cleaning, maintenance, but the features/controls are far superior to those of the Infinium. Now, if you want a really light PI detector take a look at the White's SurfMaster with the 950 coil or Dual Field. It is my third PI detector and IF I am going to detect several hours on the flat beds of wet sand...the SurfMaster is the detector I will use with the control box hip mounted. No one detector can "DO IT ALL". But my 3 PI detectors cover the gambit here in the Northeast US very well for me. FYI Garrett has discontinued the Infinium. The reason I see it that the ATX is the far superior detector. Granted the weight, cams and cost are its drawbacks. Another choice you have is the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II with two coils and waterproof headphone. I have never used, but hear of great raves about the DetectorPro HeadHunter at 3.1 pound, it probably is the lightest of the detectors. However it is NOT a PI detector. Its VLF frequency is 2.4KHz.

I enjoy the DD coils over the Mono, except for the 8" Mono on my Infinium when used in the rocks. Again it all boils down to location, conditions and targets you are detecting for. Coil sized being equal, the DD covers about twice the area that the mono will, the mono will pinpoint a target better, but in 4 feet of water...I use the DD!

Summing it up for salt water/beach detecting, you have the BEST PI, the ATX. No PI will "mask" as the Excalibur's IronMask. In my side by side test - on natural targets - between my Infinium and the Excalibur 1000, the PI won hands down here on New England's mineralized beaches. If I could have only two of my detectors for the salt water/beaches of New England, I would keep the ATX and the Excalibur. A third would be the light weight White's PI for hunting large open flats, wet but out of the water at low tide. But going to fresh water/land you would have to beat me up bad to get me let go of my ATPro and Shadow X5. My other detectors see little use, except in specific locations, conditions, and/or given target. Just like having different fishing equipment/bait for different fishing trips and types of fish.

ATX can easily be chest mounted and used the same way an Infinium LS is used, this way the Infinium DD coils can also be used on the ATX.

With the ATX chest mounted it's much lighter/easier to use on beach in water and when gold fossicking/prospecting.

Ozleif
so can i take the ATX box and mount it on my waist in a bag and plug in an infinium coil on a straight shaft ?:clapping:

mndiger said:
Ozleif
so can i take the ATX box and mount it on my waist in a bag and plug in an infinium coil on a straight shaft ?:clapping:

Chest mounting is better and easier to use. :detecting:

Ozleif said:
mndiger said:
Ozleif

Chest mounting is better and easier to use. :detecting:
Thanks Ozleif
I really wasn't sure that was possible to use the Infinium coil on the ATX. I wish that would have been possible on the Minlab SDC 2300.
Have you tested the depth using the Infinium coil and is it the same as the ATX coil ?

I use the Infinium DD coils on the ATX because I have them and it's convenient to sometime use a smaller lighter coil, also very useful when Gold prospecting as the smaller coils can be used in tight places, as in narrow water ways especially the 3.5x7"DD that will leave the SDC2300 behind in those places.

The original ATX DD coil can also be used on the Infinium with the advantage that is in this particular coil design especially when beach hunting.

I shopped with our local Garrett dealer and was able to try before the purchase.