Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

depth with 5x10 coil

justdigging

do I have settings wrong some where with this 705 5x10 18.75 coil, ground balance 35 sen. 25 program 2 about 2 or 3 inches
is all it will do, 4 is out of the question on clad quarter. Is that just all I can expect from this setup?

First of all, turn Tracking ON. There is no earthly reason not to.
Where is your Threshold set? It should be audible, but minimally so. With good phones somewhere around 4 should be about right.
If you're shooting for max depth, ditch the filters and go All Metal.

Other than that, the 5x10" coil is depth limited by it's width. Even under the best of circumstances it isn't much good on targets more than about 6" deep unless they're HUGE.

i just have a cheap set of phones threshold is set on ten but just barely audible to old ears. If i could get 6 inches that would be fine for what I do.
the only reason I got this coil was for nuggets and I do mostly run in AM. Just checking the depth in test Garden for coins.
Thanks for the reply Sir

For nugget hunting I would run it in Prospector Mode. It will see a fair bit deeper in prospector mode, and with some finesse applied to the Iron Mask setting you can limit noise from magnetic minerals. That means that you might also be able to turn the Sens wide open.
Just to see how well it would work, you can give it a whirl in your test bed. Even with the IM cranked all the way up it won't null on a non-ferrous target smaller than a coin.

in my soil here in east tx. I can run my 705 wide open most of the time.Ive only tested depth by burying coins in my yard.I used no. one setting on dist.5 on t.h.with the 5x10 coil at 7 inches the signal will repeat on both ends of the swing but vdi will be a little shakey on 8 inches not as good but can hear it.i believe you said 4 inches is as good as you could do.ive haven't found a seven inch quarter in a real hunt, but ive found a few 5 to 6 inches.and the sig.was a little weak but repeated good.

I’m getting 8 to 10 inches in the sand on the beach ( Lake Michigan fresh water ) on items like 1/4” shop staples ( little bigger than office staples) with a solid signal.

Doug

Donut said:
I’m getting 8 to 10 inches in the sand on the beach ( Lake Michigan fresh water ) on items like 1/4” shop staples ( little bigger than office staples) with a solid signal.

Doug
A lot of the reason you're getting that depth with that coil is due to the wet.
If you ever try a 15" HF DD coil there you'll be chasing signals that will make you think you're digging to China.....for that pulltab tail. :lol:

I have the HF 10.5 and workd great on the beach except for the weight , and yea I think I have actually hit China lol, lately I have been using the 5x10 with pretty good luck and my arm isn’t sore at the end of the day , lol

If I ever make the trek over to your side of the state we'll have to get together. I'll let you check out the 6" 3kHz Digger, and a 15" HF WOT.
I'm an antique too, so my budget only allows for one excursion a year, and this year's is already planned. Maybe next year....

Lol , I would not wanna try your coil as I don’t think I have that many tears left . Don’t wanna be spoiled. I may have to wait a couple months to be able to get the 6” DD. I haven’t looked at some of the beaches yet because there are still piles of ice and the high winds have moved a lot of sand up on the beaches and covering a lot of good hunting. Six + of of the beaches start charging after Memorial Day so I tend to stay away from them till after Labor Day weekend.
I’d be embarrassed going with a site celebrity, lol
D
What part of the state do you live . ( general area)
Your Friend; Doug

after reading all these post really makes me wonder what I have wrong after using longhairs advice I did get 5 inches but that was weak.
The way I understand all of this if I wont more depth get a larger coil and as there are no beaches near me i will be on dry land. Which one
is the best for my soil with g/B of 30 to 45 auto tracking when hunting AM. 10.5 or 9 inch? I will only be buying one more coil so I will go with 7.5 KHZ.

It all depends on soil conditions, dry sand I believe will be deeper , wet soil/dry soil , type of soil , minerals in soil , sensitive level , threshold , ground balance, speed of swing , how close coil is to ground , if coil is tilted a little . All have to come together for maximum depth. We all do things differently, nothing is exact.. and most of all know your detector, after years of using my XTerra 70 I found I was doing some things wrong. ( part of machine sets for 6 months during winter and I forget some things , lol old age ! So read , practice and read and read . YouTube’s on setting on Xterras helps . Nothing is exact.

Doug

Donut said:
What part of the state do you live . ( general area)
Check my Sig Line. I'm out in the cornfields SE of Lansing.

justdigging said:
after reading all these post really makes me wonder what I have wrong after using longhairs advice I did get 5 inches but that was weak.
The way I understand all of this if I want more depth get a larger coil and as there are no beaches near me I will be on dry land. Which one
is the best for my soil with g/B of 30 to 45 auto tracking when hunting AM. 10.5 or 9 inch? I will only be buying one more coil so I will go with 7.5 KHZ.
I would go with the 10.5". It's a great coil, and honest VID too due to the virtually equal size target bin segment widths.
Is the 5x10" HF the only coil that you have?

Another thing.....
....sweep speed.
You can often run a little more SENS if you slow down. That frequently equates to a little more depth. The machine will let you know when you speed up (especially in AM) by getting chatty (unstable), so it actually helps regulate your sweep speed.

Old Longhair ? At least you got some hair, lol, You are not all that far from Lake Michigan. The beaches are fun to hunt , but a good large stainless steel sand scoop with long handle make it so much easier.

Doug

Old Longhair said:
First of all, turn Tracking ON. There is no earthly reason not to.
Where is your Threshold set? It should be audible, but minimally so. With good phones somewhere around 4 should be about right.
If you're shooting for max depth, ditch the filters and go All Metal.

Other than that, the 5x10" coil is depth limited by it's width.

Even under the best of circumstances it isn't much good on targets more than about 6" deep unless they're HUGE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

L.H.,You should include the LENGTH (9") in that [size=large]generalization[/size]......

The approximate max (consistent audio related) detection depth of the 9" by 5" elliptical coil, is 6.25 times the coin's diameter (in inches)...

poor.ground-conditions will invoke limitations to that depth approximation......... metalpopper.