Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting on public land.

Jim Pa

The only way to get the real answer about detecting on public land is to get copies of the state laws.All the appointed people will do is tell you that you can't detect on it.It only takes a couple of minutes to contact your State's website.Print the laws and carry a copy of them with you.When you get questioned,you have the answer with you.Another thing to do is contact the company that made your detector and ask them to lobby your State for better detecting laws.When checking with local governments never ask what the laws are.Ask what their guidelines and housekeeping rules are,like not littering,plugging your holes and so on.Rules and guidelines are not laws.I make it a habit to always carry all my permission slips for private property with me in a folder.

Most of the lil towns I detect in are just that "lil towns" so when in question I usually ask the CHIEF OF POLICE if there are any ordinances against detecting on public or parks properties. Each town has their own "lil" different set of rules and regulations. Some have ordinances against detecting and MOST do not.
State laws will of coarse be different for that state but each township may have an amendment saying something way different. Good idea to do both ....ASK & READ....:happy:
THIS IS ONLY my opinion I am not a lawyer or an expert on these matters. Just thought I would add my two cents...
Let's hear from some of the experts ????
HH

HI

what kind of laws am i to look for on my state's web site? treasure hunting laws? or detecting laws?

You have to search for what you want to do.I spend a lot of time doing my research and the only thing I can tell you is to load the website and get names of people in charge.Get their e-mail address.Ask them what you are trying to find out,and where you can find the laws.That's about the fastest way I get the information.After you get it,copy it and keep an extra copy.I suggested a good while back that there should be a forum that would just store copies of the laws of different States and municipal localities that people send in and viewers can search for a location.It would just be a search forum.Maybe the moderators can get together on something like that.

It would probably be too large an undertaking for a forum. Just take one state for example. You have federal laws, state laws and municipality laws involved depending on the location. And, with no disrespect intended, be wary of anything you get off the internet because the info is not always up to date. Also, just a thought, but be very careful what you carry with you if you hunt a schoolground even if it's permitted. Some of your digging equipment could be determined by law to be a weapon and just about anywhere these days carrying any kind of weapon on school property can get you in some very serious trouble. Let's face it, things aren't like they used to be. Have a great weekend guys and find some good stuff.
Jerry

HI JERRY

Thanks for the info,you right about the laws today on weapons. some one could think that a prob could be a perfect stabing weapon. I did not thank about that.

priscilla

Yes, it's sad that we live in such times, Priscilla. Just look at all the stuff they make you hand over checking in at airports today. And it seems like every other day the news has something about a shooting or stabbing at a school, I mean even the lower grades where kids should be doing kid things. I remember as a boy when every boy carried a pocket knife, given to him by his father or older brother, and it was the norm. Not today. We have to really give some serious thought to what we carry with us now depending on where we're going. Best of luck and dig some great stuff this weekend.
Jerry

HI JERRY

jerry,whats the best way to approach some one about asking for permission to hunt,privat propery? And if i whan't to hunt at my local school how do i go about that?

write back

priscilla

Hi, Priscilla. Just knocking on doors and asking the land owner has always worked for me. I tell them what I want to do and give them a description of why I want to do it (hobby) and what I'm looking for (coins, relics, etc.), promising that I won't harm their property in any way. I show them how I retrieve items, etc. and promise not to leave any large holes unfilled and that I will remove all trash that I find. Your approach needs to take into account whether you want to hunt their yard or, in my case, usually fields where they plant crops each year. I know this sounds too simple but it has worked for me for many years and seldom have I been turned down. Just be aware that some people will be naturally suspicious and you will get turned down sometimes but you will be surprised how often people become interested in what you're doing and are curious about what you might find. As far as schools go, I haven't hunted on one in many years so I don't know about any laws that affect that now. I used to just go into the school office and ask who I needed permission from. I told them, as stated above, what I wanted to do and that I wanted to do it after school hours or on weekends. Never got turned down very often, and while we're on this subject, don't forget old church grounds but if they have cemeteries promise to stay away from those. There are numerous possibilities for sites to hunt. You just have to not be bashful and go right up and ask. And if you can get them to give you a written slip showing permission it's always a good idea but if they balk at that don't press it. Just take their verbal permission and go for it. Also, just because someone gives you permission once doesn't mean you have permission to come back unless that is arranged beforehand. Now, get out there and do it. Best of luck to you.
Jerry

HI JERRY

Thanks for your info. I no of some good places to hunt and,I have some in mined. I no of this fire stachion that holds a carnival every year. whould it be ilegal to hunt their,and is all fires stachion goverment proparty?

write back ! priscilla

I would never hunt on any land without permission. If it's private property and you get caught you could be charged with trespassing and give the metal detecting community one more black eye. If it's government property you need to get permission from the proper officials. Never, and I mean NEVER, take a metal detector on any government property without permission, preferably written. Metal Detecting in some places can get you in some very serious trouble with huge fines and prison time. I'm not trying to scare you but the law is very strict, especially when you start talking about National Historical Parks, for which you will not get permission. BTW, written permission is always a good idea for private land too.
Jerry

I"m not trying to be smart,but in order to answer about the fire stations at least tell us where they are located.Like state and town.I would guess that the town owned the property.If your state has county's,then check with the County recorder of deeds to find out who owns it and go from there.

just because the Fire Dept. holds the carnival doesn't mean the city or county owns the land where the carnival is held. It could be private property that the owner allows them to use or it could be state property, or like Jim Pa suggests, it could well be the city or county. You really have to ask some questions and do some research. But it isn't hard and could be well worth the effort. Best of luck.
Jerry

Jerry

Im going to find out before, I do any thing.I no that your not trying to be smart. Your right!

priscilla

[quote cion2]Jerry

Im going to find out before, I do any thing.I no that your not trying to be smart. Your right!

priscilla[/quote]

Best of luck, priscilla, I hope you get permission and make some nice finds there. Keep us posted.
Jerry

1) places listed as being on the National Register of Historic Places - Forget it - detecting is prohibited by law unless part of a sanctioned archeological dig.

2) Private property that isn't (1) above - get permission from the land owner.

3) Municipal property (muni parks, public works areas, etc.) check with town/city/village clerk to find out if there are any local ordinances that apply to MD-ing. If not its basically a green light

4) Schools - same as (3) but also get clearance from the school districts head groundskeeper

5) County lands (parks, county forests, etc) - check with the County Parks and recreation department for regs.

6) State properties - have only dealt with this one for state parks - rules vary by state, but here our requirement is to get permission, defined areas, and rules from the parks managing staff. They usually have VERY specific rules and defined areas.

7) Federal properties - have only dealt with this for National Forests - approach is the same as (6) above. Prospecting laws (stake claims, etc. may apply as well especially if you are poking around for nuggets.

Wayne

Digging and retrieving finds can always be considered damaging property and thats where they get you..I do know most Pa. State parks are as long as you register at the main office and find out the rules and regs as each State park seems to differ...Federal land its prohibited and might lose your car, detector and face a stiff fine..Myself always look for the maintenance staff and ask and even show them my retrieval methods which works most of the time. One more thing Pa. State game lands are huntable, but nothing over 100 years old can be removed so your Barber quarter just might be a violation...
All in all pays to ask rather than look over your shoulder as they all differ...

Metal detecting is not prohibited on all Federal lands, but it is very tightly regulated, and hardly worth the bother.

Check the following links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/heritage/metal_detectors.html

http://www.mymetaldetector.com/pl_1.html

Wayne

It seems its the actual digging that is the problem. Parkys hate anyone digging on the park- it drives em insane so it seems. I have been hassled off parks and the police called out loads of times over the last 20 years detecting for detecting on parks. Now i can recover a find and i can guarantee its hard to see where i have dug the hole as i professionally remove the target so soil disturbance is close to un detectable to the eye so to speak. You cant dig the park up is something i have heard a few times, trying to explain to these idiots that i am not "digging the park up" is a total waste of time - how the hell can anyone with a garden trowel dig a park up!. The people who work on these parks over here are as thick as pig shite for sure! this i am sure of. CCTV is now watching in some parks and is on the increase. So as soon as the detector is turned on ,the park rangers will be charging like raging bulls towards the detector user. You cant even piss in the bushes without someone on a cctv monitor enjoy watching the urine come out of your penis. :ranting: