Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

detector for Canadian coinage?

froggy38383

I am sure this question has been brought up before at some time in the past.

I have tried finding information on this through the Web but have been unsuccessful.

The properties (and types) of coins in Canada are different than those made in America. Many of the U.S. made detectors are engineered to find coins of that country.

I have owned three detectors, the latest being a 1266X Fisher. I am thinking about upgrading in the near future. I am not sure which route to go. I do mostly park and playground coin detecting, sometimes the odd fresh water beach. I am located in Manitoba.

Unfortunately I do not live in an area close to any major detector dealers so i do not have the opportunity to try and compare. Factors in purchasing are performance, discrimination, reliability, after purchase service.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

What you need is a excellent meter ID unit for your type of hunting..
Whites, Garrett, Compass and Fisher have some nice models along with the recently introduced X-terra by Minelab...Whites 6000 probably have the most accurate analog ID machine around. I would read up on some of the above and even contact a dealer as they are usually a wealth of info...1266 is a deep unit preferred by relic hunters and feel a good ID unit would serve you best if upgrading for your type of hunting..I have never heard of a target ID unit for Canadian Coinage but some simple air testing can tell you where your coins would fall on the meter and go by number not Icons etc...

Dan,

I think on most the newer Canadian coin you have to accept iron to get them as the composition is of nickle and some other alloy as they will stick to a magnet. I do get a few Canadian dime with the Sovereign and the Explorer, but the tone is changing and the number changing to.