Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detectors that have stood the test of time.

There are several that really impress me, The Sovereign GT is my favorite as I have tried all the differnt Sovereigns and the GT is awesome for me, infact any of the Sovereigns but the original are some of the best. Take a while to understand them at first and those that do see what it can do. My wifes MXT is a very nice detector also and so easy to use. I had the Equinox 800 and only got to use it a few times before I got laid up, but it too was impressive . I also have Shadow X5 that is the best non metered detector I have used and showed up many of my friends Minelabs at some of the hunts we did.
There has been a lot of different detector I have used since 1973 and some were very good while others were not, but a lot is how you get to learn them and understand them

Rick
Good write up Rick, had a sov gt for a short while. Had so many detectors a few had to go and that was one of them...

Pretty much any Tesoro. Treasure Baron Cointrax. Also (If you can deal with the weight) Compass X-80 or X100.

tesoro vaquero
white's 5900 di pro sl
very first T2
minelab musketeer advantage
garrett 1000 ultra
cscope 1220xdp
fisher 1236
xp goldmaxx

I started with the Sovereign GT. Was worried to get very far into the water so I got the XcAl. Can not find any reason to replace them.

There are several that really impress me, The Sovereign GT is my favorite as I have tried all the differnt Sovereigns and the GT is awesome for me, infact any of the Sovereigns but the original are some of the best. Take a while to understand them at first and those that do see what it can do. My wifes MXT is a very nice detector also and so easy to use. I had the Equinox 800 and only got to use it a few times before I got laid up, but it too was impressive . I also have Shadow X5 that is the best non metered detector I have used and showed up many of my friends Minelabs at some of the hunts we did.
There has been a lot of different detector I have used since 1973 and some were very good while others were not, but a lot is how you get to learn them and understand them

Rick
Yes
Love my Sovereign GT.
Especially with the 13" Ultimate coil on it.

Pretty much any Tesoro. Treasure Baron Cointrax. Also (If you can deal with the weight) Compass X-80 or X100.
I have owned two X100 detectors , the performance in motion mode did not impress me much at all. Plus too heavy to swing for long.
On todays sites it would miss a lot of good finds for sure. Really not many perfect workers about , most are in need of calibrating.

Treasure Baron Cointrax. I have the late Reg Sniff's personal example. It has the latest chip version. I will treasure it always. I have 3 coils for it. 5.5,8 and rare Hothead 12". It doesn't like iron,even hotrocks! You don't see very many of these anymore.

Treasure Baron Cointrax. I have the late Reg Sniff's personal example. It has the latest chip version. I will treasure it always. I have 3 coils for it. 5.5,8 and rare Hothead 12". It doesn't like iron,even hotrocks! You don't see very many of these anymore.
I still have a red box with the 2.2 chip and a DD and 8" concentric. Made some pretty good (and deep) finds with it over the years. Awful heavy though.

I sold my MXT Pro to get my wife a detector. I miss the MXT. It was a very capable metal detector.
Dave Johnson did a very good job in designing the original MXT, but Carl Moreland did an even better job in reengineering the MXT Pro. Personally, I feel XLT, 6000 Pro XL (renamed the XL Pro), and the MXT Pro were the three best multi-purpose detectors that came from White's. I really enjoyed the MXT Pro with the best coil for the task at various sites.

Monte

Dave Johnson did a very good job in designing the original MXT, but Carl Moreland did an even better job in reengineering the MXT Pro. Personally, I feel XLT, 6000 Pro XL (renamed the XL Pro), and the MXT Pro were the three best multi-purpose detectors that came from White's. I really enjoyed the MXT Pro with the best coil for the task at various sites.

Monte
Yes Indeed. I like so many others hated to see Whites close shop. They Truly had some great detectors.

The White's Beach hunter 300 was my favourite ever beach hunting machine......another never got to grips with it but it was an excellent machine.

Garrett GTA 1000 with multiple coils for coin hunting. Whites 6000 Pro XL, Whites Classic IDX with M. Bill's Mods for any type of hunting and any Mnelab Sovereign. My best pulse was the Eric Foster Goldscan 5C for Hot ground Relic Hunting and on the beach the Headhunter PI. an we can go on as I have tested many hundreds of detectors both foreign and domestic since 1969.

The Fisher 1266x comes to mind for me,bought one new in 1992 and I think it could still hold its own today.It took me years to figure it
out it’s not the detector,because
Really detector is just a tool,it’s all about the Site.If you want to successfull in metal detecting do
Your research and you will be rewarded.

Two old tech detectors that I own are a c scope 1220xd and a saxon sm 45.The Saxons are made by a guy in his workshop I believe and are as basic as it gets......a discrimination and a sensitivity knob.It's unusual in the fact that it is run at full sensitivity and minimum discrimination and is set up to cope with most uk conditions at these settings,I don't think I have ever had to reduce the sensitivity at all.It's not a massively deep machine but it finds very small low conductive items and the discrimination is fantastic.......still finds the goodies and there is no tech on it whatsoever.
The C scope is a non motion machine that was conceived in the early eighties but is still in production.....old style needle type meter,three preset modes and one ground mode,polo type concentric coil,non motion and it is still capable (if you know what you are doing) of giving you a great day out in the fields.The joys of simple old tech.😁

I have a Saxon here in the United States. I use it in Iron infested sites when depth is not an issue. Cheers.

Becoming a bit of a cult machine over here....i like using mine at litter infested harbours,cuts out big iron but still picks up small stuff👍👍