Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DEUS depth

Well I am not an expert on the Deus, I just got a new one, I bought one when they first came out and did not keep it very long, because I thought they were to fragile. A buddy of mine bought one at the same time and kept his, is retired and has put a lot of hours on his old Deus and has done very well with it. He bought a new one and was so excited about the new updates that it made me want to try one again and so far have been impressed.

I would think that if you used the lower freq and a slower recovery speed along with a slower sweep speed you should be able to get the deep silver. I took the Deus to a local park that is known for lots of trash and set several targets on the ground and just played with the different settings. I have some old rusty nails that are bent into different shapes and did some testing by placing the nails at different distance away from and on top of some old coins.

After about 45 min of testing I started hunting the park, I used little to no discrimination, 8 or 12 on the freq, 5 tones, and reactivity on 3. I was hunting more by sound than the meter and was doing very well. The Deus is very adjustable, I just need more time to practice.

Andy`s Deus Handbook, would help you a lot especially as a newcomer to the Mighty Deus.

All your questions and settings to get you up to speed are within it. :thumbup: Jerry.

TheOldMan said:
the DEUS has four separate freq. - one at a time. . . so how does it obtain it's deep depth on coins?

Depth and number of frequencies are not tied together . . . factors such as ground mineralization, moisture content, trash / good target concentration, the type of target being sought and operator skill are just a few of the factors that come into play. The advantage that the Deus has over other single frequency VLF detectors is that you can switch them with the touch of a button based on the aforementioned factors. The Minelab X-Terra line can also do that but it requires buying a coil for close to $200 for each frequency you want to try and switching in the field takes a little time to exchange coils.

The higher frequencies detector smaller targets better as well as those of lower conductivity . . . the opposite is true for the lower frequencies but remember, it is not as simple as simply picking one factor and selecting the ideal frequency. Weigh the pros and cons of each and use that as the guide to select the optimal frequency for the site you are at and the type of target you are hunting for. Be flexible - you may find as the ground dries out that a different frequency stands out. The ability to test the response on actual in-ground targets as you sweep the coil across it is pretty amazing in getting the Deus dialed in for a specific site (hmmmm . . . . is there a chapter in the book with that title??? :blink: )

Once you get the hang of the detector and what it is telling you, be prepared to dig some deep holes - site conditions permitting . . . . .

Hope this helps

Andy

Just my 2 cents but you need to have the "best" Ground balance and Sensitivity settings to get maximum depth. When I say the "best", I am not saying the the "hottest" setting but the "correct" settings for your soil conditions.

PCJ