Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus hunt - Smokin' Token

Topdecker

We're back to hot and dry and I am hard pressed to find an area with new targets, old targets, and SHADE. But I had a site in mind that has had a school since the turn of the century - it's seen a lot of detecting activity, but sees daily use so I figured that I'd have plenty of clad targets.

Well, the clad started showing up pretty fast. Some quarters in a cluster, dimes, a couple of nickles, and the usual heaps of pennies were all found under shadows of the shade tree. I ventured out to a green spot and hit a couple of bottle caps that were trying to fool me into digging them. But next to the caps was a similar hit that wasn't changing in the TID value as a I lifted the coil, so I dug. My plug covered the first 2.5" of soil - under it was 2"+ of gravel and right under the gravel I found my target. Up came a lovely Boy Scout token from 1910:

exshoe_token_01.jpg

Reverse:
exshoe_token_02.jpg

Yeah, that is a swastika, but in 1910 it merely represented good luck here in the USA. The reverse must have sat next to the gravel, hence the damage.

Here is a link to some shots of an undug version of the token: http://www.sageventure.com/coins/version4.html

The token was blanketed pretty heavily by iron / crap targets and given that is about the same diameter as a half-dollar, I'd qualify it as a Deus-centric find - something that the fast recovery speed earned me. I am pretty sure that I've personally put a coil over it twice without finding it. I also got over to an area that I recently covered with another detector and recovered 3 coins too close to trash that it had missed. The striking thing is that these aren't iffy, maybe recoveries - they are usually as plain as day.

I am still tweaking my easy to use Deus program. I've been using some field programs from UK hunters for comparative purposes, but I don't have the trash density or the .25gr hammered silver coins to worry about, so fast, fun, and friendly is what I want from the Deus.

Top, that is an awesome find. I know what you mean about finding the goods among the trash. Same program you noted for your last find? Or did you make any major changes? Keep it up!

Rich

That is a great find!:thumbup: The ground here is as hard as a brick! It almost takes all the fun out of coinshooting!:(

Yeah, the ground here is hard and dry - I'd not be out if I wasn't wanting to play with the Deus so badly :)

RIch - I dropped my reactivity to 1 and boosted the silencer to 3. Plugged my sensitivity down to 80 just because there is no way I want a deeper target with no moisture to ease the digging. When I would get into trash, I'd increase the reactivity, but honestly I didn't change it very often - I like to get a bit longer tone out of my targets so they stand out a little more from some of pops and clicks the Deus makes otherwise.\

Topdecker said:
I dropped my reactivity to 1 and boosted the silencer to 3. Plugged my sensitivity down to 80 just because there is no way I want a deeper target with no moisture to ease the digging. When I would get into trash, I'd increase the reactivity, but honestly I didn't change it very often - I like to get a bit longer tone out of my targets so they stand out a little more from some of pops and clicks the Deus makes otherwise.\

That is PRECISELY what I discovered when I finally used a program with Reactivity = 1! Because I'm hitting these trashy parks, I believed that Reactivity of 3 would be better than 1. Well, I was wrong. I will check an occasional spot with the higher reactivity, but rarely these days. It was that longer tone that finally helped me understand what I was hearing. I collected about $4.50 in clad this morning in about 90 minutes before 9AM because it's been so dang hot (and dry). Nothing deeper than 2". Not even a wheatie in all that, but did find 1 Panamanian cent, and 1 Croation Kuna.

Yeah, it is really easy to become "deaf" to hits when you're bombarded with them. That longer note helps it stand out. Most of my tweaks are done to cut down the noise to good tone ratio - hopefully without losing too much of what makes the Deus special. I suspect that as I grow content with the performance of the Deus, that I will do tweaking because I'll have a fully developed trust relationship :)

$4.50 is a pretty nice pile of clad and I've never seen money from Panama or Croatia - I found a Nigerian dollar a while back and was thrilled.

Bill_S said:
Looks like you are getting the hang of that Deus.....;o)

It seems to find the good stuff in spite of me :) I am a lot more comfortable with what it is saying and have plenty more to learn.