Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus vs iron and rusted bottle caps

j piddle

Hunted two spots today my back yard nail/iron bed and a old filling station location home of the rusted bottle caps. Of course I was looking for goodies but the main objective was to learn how not to dig the nails and bottle caps.

Was working with two different programs one set for trash and the other for depth. The trash program came from Andy's book. Thank you Andy.

I am sure that most of you are familiar with the Minlab/Sov wiggle. Most iron and bottle caps will tell off on theirselves easy even when they are high toning but some of the deeper stuff is a little harder to pull that iron tone in with the high one.

Two things that helped was first a very slow delibert swing swing that brings out the iron tone on the end of the high tone. If that did not work I would resort to the wiggle. Some time it had to be so tight it was hard to do but almost every time it would bring out a tone similar to the iron grunt but nothing like a coin high tone.

I did get fooled a couple of times once by a brass washer and the other time by a small d ring.
I dug at least 10 called bottle caps down to 7 inches that I called as trash each time. Dug a lot of other called iron trash nails etc. that were called each time. All the signals gave a good high tones and the shallow ones gave good vids mostly on the bottle caps.

More testing to come.
Jpiddle

Sounds like you are doing great! When I first started with my Deus I dug the usual clad a a couple of Mercs but I also dug those junk signals till I had that square tab, that can slaw and that foil drilled into my brain until I could call it.
I have been hunting in 8 K and seem to like it most for coins. It is much better for me to call the can slaw and foil.

The Deus really does tell you alot with the tones.

I am luvin the Deus!

Jeff

Jeff in Pa said:
Sounds like you are doing great! When I first started with my Deus I dug the usual clad a a couple of Mercs but I also dug those junk signals till I had that square tab, that can slaw and that foil drilled into my brain until I could call it.
I have been hunting in 8 K and seem to like it most for coins. It is much better for me to call the can slaw and foil.

I am luvin the Deus!

Jeff

I am new to the Deus but am really liking it. The places I currently hunt the most don't have a lot of pull tabs but I plan on working on them in the near future.

Did not include in the first post but I did find 4 wheats one a 1913 d in almost perfect condition ,two clad dimes and one war nickle in those two hunts. No silver yet.
I have read a lot about guys having trouble with bent nails and steel bottle caps but I have a feeling they are relying on the numbers to much.

The Deus has more to offer than most think with the ability to use up to five adjustable tones for some real easy discrimination without losing any depth. Three notch segments if you need them and the list goes on.

Just rambling on.
Jpiddle

You are absolutely correct. The 5 tone setup has been my preference. Iron is actually easy to call if one stops staring at the numbers. Just listen to it from at least 2 different directions while under the center of the coil. I use the X method for almost all deep targets. Iron tends to cut out or even Pop. Rarely does iron sound good swinging the left and then back over to the right. Coins or any non-ferrous target usually sound good from most any direction unless they are on edge a bit. Now can slaw is a different, kind of double popping sound and thin foil is sometimes a hollow sound.

The Deus has alot to offer if one takes the time to listen to it.

Jeff

Yes if the tone sputters or breaks up right before it drops off the coil doing the Minelab wiggle its almost always a screw cap. If you really listen, coins hit much smoother audio wise no matter where you swing. ;)

Jeff in Pa said:

I am luvin the Deus!

Jeff

Agreed!!

I'll mostly agree, but have been fooled enough times that I'll dig a lot of the "called it trash" stuff. The big silver ring I dug was for sure a pull tab....until I dug a pull tab and then rescanned the hole. I've dug more than a few nickels that were for sure a bottlecap, but ended up being a nickel near a cap or there was some disintegrated iron in the soil.

Using the "coil lift", wiggle and just listening for the iron buzz isn't enough for me to not dig most of these. I figure it takes me less than a minute to dig and be on my way and if 10% of those are good targets it's worth it to me to not leave something good behind. YMMV.

I dug a quarter out of a hole that someone else had recently dug, found a bottle cap at 4" and left it behind. Another 3" down gave me a silver quarter. For me, at least for now...it's about persistence more than discrimination. Seems that the guys who consistently dig the good stuff follow a similar method. Again....YMMV!