Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digital advice....

A

Anonymous

To all,
I first posted this question on Royal's board, but,Guvner suggested that this was the place to come.....I think he was right.
I am looking to get our first digital camera, I don't want to invest a "ton" of money just in case the "fad" (for me) wears off. I have a Deskjet 812c which prints 300-600DPI which I think should be good for 5X7's (right?)
I like all of the Olympus camers and am looking for one with an optical zoom. But, I don't want to miss another cheaper, better brand. I have also been told that I don't want to go below a 1.3 megpix camera, is that true? Or is a higher pix camera only better if I want to print out 8X10s'?
One last thing I have a loaded (lens, filters, etc.) Olympus 35m that I have had for 20 yrs. that I enjoy and still use, I am not looking for a replacement for it.
Sorry this post is a little long.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
I have ordered a new camera as you may have noticed here. My D600L is up for sale on the Buy/Sell/Swap forum. It takes awesome pictures but it has some holes in its armor. Telling you what they are may help you with your decision. Number one. It has trouble focusing in low light conditions where the flash is needed. It uses some kind of contrast thing that the middle has to be trained on. I have to really work at it and I still screw up more than not. If you want it for mainly flash pictures stay away from any digital that doesn't have some sort of low light focusing helper.
If you are into natural light pictures and close-ups of your coins, rings or relics this type of camera is a smoker. I would say to pick out one that has some sort of ability to attach extra lenses and filters so that you can get your dime's worth. Much as the camera you already own has these abilities you want the same for your digital.
Finally (and these are just my opinions so don't take them too seriously..) I would say consider just keeping your existing camera and just get slides instead of everything developed and buy a film scanner. Then you look everything over before printing it. You can always have your favorites printed up later. Another option is to have the film put on CD as that is an option at your local Walgreens. Still a bit pricey but it will come down as competition stiffens.
I really wouldn't waste the money on a no focus camera as they just don't get the job done.
Good luck with your decision... Guvner..

I am, by far, no expert on the subject and a brand newbie like yourself to the wonderful world of digital photography. I just picked up the Olympus D-360L for $300.00 (a gift "for the wife" ha,ha). Check out the pics this thing takes below and believe me when I tell you I am the world's WORST photographer!! It does not have a mechanical zoom (it uses an electronic 2X or 3X) but more than makes up for that in it's auto focus simplicity. I gotta tell you I'm impressed with it but it don't take much to impress me with this stuff and I'm sure I could go really nuts getting the best of the best out there eventually. Just thought it would be a great camera to start out with and I'm certainly NOT dissappointed! Good Luck! George Fatizzi

Guvner is right. The Oly 600 was my first digital and takes great pictures. Don't pass this opportunity up. It will get you going and you will have a fine camera too.
By the way, there have been a few milestones; computers, PDA's, and I will put digital photography right up there. This is no fad and has changed the camera industry forever; you can take that one to the bank.

Hi Jim,
If you want one with an optical zoom, you might what to check out the Olympus D460Z. It is basically like the Olympus D360L that George has but with a 3x optical zoom.
Larry