Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discriminating Question

cubmannc

hi I have a question that I hope can be answered as a new Quattro owner and definitely in the learning stages of this machine: For instance I get 37-38 readings in coin and coin/jewelry
program mode that turn out to be some kind of rusted metal...or a silver coin..tones are real close(ID shows coin or pull tab or both)...now if I discriminate the rusty metal object(reject)..does the Quattro see the difference in the silver and let me dig it or will it discriminate it out also. I know when in doubt dig..but curious about the accuracy of the discrimination..
cubmannc

Hi cubmannc,

If its rusted metal, it should not give you a consistent 37-38...the numbers should jump around and include some negative numbers as well. When you retrieved the target, did you try waving it across your coil to see if it continued to give you the 37-38 readings? There is a possibility that you dug up the rusted metal but there is still a good coin target in the ground. Many have found trash and a good target in the same hole so make it a habit to re-check before filling in your holes.

Now if the rusted metal REALLY gives you a 37-38 reading, don't disc this out or you will also reject all other coins that fall in that notched out segment. You can use the pinpoint to check the size of the target to make a dig or no dig decision...but I'd say dig it if you are in an area where it can be a civil war buckle :)

Hope this helps,

Tnx doug,I need to do some more checking..hole was empty and pinpointer did not read anything so filled her in and went on..the one reading was a solid reading thus my confusion..and whatever the object was it was unidentifiable..tones for coin and rusted metal were real close..more to follow..but overall loving the Quattro
cubmannc

Some of the rusted nails and coin can give you close to the same tone and conductivity numbers in coin and jewelry mode and why when you get into these area you should run the all metal or relic mode where the tones are ferrous tones. The copper and silver coins will sound the same in the relic or all metal, but those rusty nails that sound like a coin now will be low tone and still the high numbers. Give it a try as you can copy the coin mode program into the relic mode if you want.

Rick

Tnx Rick,,,I will give that a try also..was trying to use preprogrammed modes to learn the Quattro...maybe I should experiment more...
cubmannc

If you want to hunt in the coin mode pattern, but want the ferrous tones of the relic mode just select the coin mode then hit the relic mode and hold the button until saved come up. Now you will have a coin mode like the factory one, but you will be using the ferrous tones so the rusty nails will not sound like coins. Now there may be some other items that will give the hight tone of a coin, but when you look at the VDI number they will be lower numbers.

Rick

I'm a little confused how your saying that you get such a high number for rusty metal, but maybe so. Weirder things have happened. I say that because usually iron will be in the negative numbers, but..., in reference to what your asking about will the detector differentiate between the good target and the junk if they both have the same number, I'd say no as far as the number goes, but sometimes the audio tone sounds different, depending on whether it's in ferrous or conductive audio. I would highly recommend Andy SAbisches book Mastering the Quatro to show you how to cross save the audios. We could show you how, if you don't know but his book is such an all inclusive book, I can't recomomend it enough.

tnx for responses...I have Andy's book..reading and doing, doing and reading, it is making more sense everyday the Quattro is used..I learn allot reading the posts also...cubmannc