Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone run using Ferrous?

nova74

Hey everyone,

Curious to is if anyone runs in Ferrous vs. Cond. I have been running in Cond for the last yr and it was great using a 4.5 x 7 Excellerator coil picking up silvers a 6-8" with ease. In my travels with the machine and packing ip up and put a bit to much strain I think on the coil wire and no longer works with my Exp2. If I unplug the coil the machine turns on as soon as I plug in the coil the whole machine turns off and will not turn on again, ARG!! I try it with any other coil and turns on without an issue so I will have to get that coil fixed but thats another story. I've been using my SEF 10 x 12 and had had nothing but issues as I could pick up anything deep and couldn't lock onto a single target which has caused much frustration. I tried turning my sens down to 16-20 and seemed to do better and I also turned down my gain to 5-6 could lock on more but no depth.

I got thinking that the ground must be just to sens, or perhaps to much targets in the ground, or perhaps the program Im running is just not right for the areas Ive been in lately. So as we all do we hit the net, forums, youtube looking for programs to see what could work. I saw some guys running the EX2 in Ferrous over in the UK with good results so figured what the hell give it a go. Factory Reset, Ferrous, Gain 5 and thats it. I changed the program 1/2 way into a hunt to see how the target id and pick up would change and was astonished by the results. I started to hammer on pennies, nickels, dimes, of varring depths surface to 7" similar to when I had the excellerator coil on but what shocked me the most was when I got a good repeatable at 10-12". I checked it at multiple directions all reading higher tone so figure give it a dig. Long story short it ended up being nothing more then some aluminum cable wrap which was ok but the depth that I finally found it was blew my mind, 16". It wasn't a large piece but the tone given was good and repeatable enough to warrant digging.

So curious as to who hunt in ferrous and what type of results have you got??

I have hunted with Ferrous since late 2000 starting with my XS the XS'S now my current XSII and SE Pro.
I hunt primarily old homesteads and fields. I rarely hunt parks and try not too.
Yes, I have been very successful in Ferrous.
Do a search on "Ferrous" and search in only the "Exp. Classroom and Exp Forum" and be sure to set the search to "all dates".
You will find a wealth of information.