Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Don't know yet...could be really cool

REVIER

Park hunting again, found a couple of bucks in clad and then came across this thing.
I have no idea if it is real or not yet, waiting for some opinions on other forums and sent an e mail to kcsteve who lives in my area and has specialized in finding and hunting Dragoon sites for many years.
Fingers crossed, if it turns out to be a real Dragoon cuff button this will turn out to be one of my coolest finds of all time.

Any button experts here please chime in if you have a mind to, there are so many different buttons and manufactures out there I don't have a clue because I can't get an exact match...so far.

KC Steve replied...

The button looks to be genuine and there are some that are without a b/m. Your button has an 1850's look to it but an unusual pattern I've not seen in awhile and I've dug a lot of them but I've never dug any without a b/m. Most of the ones I dig have a b/m of Waterbury Scovills and date between 1840-50's. If you go to the www.thetreasuredepot.com and on their home page on right side click "The Button Book" and then on next page left side click Dragoon buttons, they have about 16 different variants of Dragoon buttons. Congratulations on finding a super nice dragoon cuff button and I hope you dig more in that spot.

I am going to believe this is a real Dragoon cuff button, an unusual style with no backmark but still genuine, and I am going to be a happy camper till someone comes up with proof it isn't.
A thrilled camper, actually.

mudpuppy said:
Sweet! What did it sound like? A copper penny? Nice!:clapping:
Mud

Sounded great, 45-46 on the F70...solid and no jumping so it had to be dug.
Thought it would have been a tab or can slaw piece, hoping for gold.
This might be even better...I am thrilled.

Let us know if you find a value on it...thrilled for you Brother! Thanks for the TIDS.:beers:.
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Let us know if you find a value on it...thrilled for you Brother! Thanks for the TIDS.:beers:.
Mud

Hard to put a value but I do know this.
On a few sites that sell relics regular buttons that are not really rare seem to average somewhere between 10-$20.
Dragoon buttons, even cuff buttons this size are marked at over $100 most of the time I guess because at times there were less Dragoon soldiers than other kinds.
I guess they were kinda like the special forces of their time.
Some of those buttons are not in really great shape, either, not as good as mine, anyway.
Not that I would ever sell it at any price, but nice to know this thing does seem to have some worth.

Dragoon info from KC Steve, the best Dragoon campsite finder and hunter I know....

Important fact, in the mid nineteenth century just prior to the Civil War, three different types of mounted troops existed simultaneously in the United States Army: cavalry, dragoons, and mounted riflemen. While all traveled on horseback, theoretically, there were enough distinctions between the various units to merit them being called by different names.
The United States Army back in 1844 consisted of 8573 men of which ten companies of First Dragoons numbered about 623 men.

Each company at full strength had a captain, a first lieutenant, a second lieutenant, four sergeants, four corporals, two buglers, one farrier and blacksmith, and fifty privates. The men were armed with Hall's carbines and, later, musketoons, Dragoon sabers called “old wristbreakers” of the Prussian pattern, and horse pistols.
Besides dragoons, there were also mounted riflemen stationed at Fort Scott.

The United States Army organized a regiment of mounted riflemen in 1845, for defense of forts along the Oregon Trail. This regiment fought in the Mexican War and then was later assigned to duties in the far West. Two companies of mounted riflemen were stationed at Fort Scott from 1852-53, but by that time Fort Scott was obsolete. The army abandoned Fort Scott in 1853.
The difference between mounted riflemen and dragoons was in their weaponry. Dragoons were armed with carbines, sabers, and pistols. Mounted riflemen had no sabers and had, as the name implied-rifles. Cavalry were armed with sabers.

The U.S. Army organized two cavalry regiments in 1855, so by the late 1850's, the army had two regiments of dragoons, one regiment of mounted riflemen, and two regiments of light cavalry. To simplify matters, in 1861, all of the mounted regiments were redesignated or renamed cavalry.
The differences? Cavalry is more of a reconnaissance or a screening force. The cavalry were supposed to be the eyes and ears of the army. Commanding generals relied on cavalry to know the enemy's troop strength and movements. Cavalry did most of their fighting on horseback. Dragoons on the other hand, did most of their fighting dismounted. The horses provided them with mobility but for the most part they dismounted when they went into action, using their carbines or musketoons. However, they were armed with sabers and thus were trained to fight both mounted and dismounted.

One more pic in the sunlight.
A real beauty!

Great find and i hope it is an oldie but, based on my button finds, generally, no backmark indicates that it is a reproduction, possibly from reinactors. I hope i am wrong.