Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Double D Coil Plugs

A

Anonymous

With all of the talk about "Open" coils getting stuck in the weeds and grass causing "Falsing" unless you use the plugs, why doesn't someone just put out a good old fashioned coill cover that is solid across the bottom. This would save the bottom of the coil AND cover the open space in the Double D. There may even be one out there already that will fit. ps; I haven't seen anything better for all around hunting, in all conditions, than the "Stock" 10 1/2 inch Minelab coil. Best machine, best coil, what a concept. I'm sorry but Sun Ray doesn't seem to have an edge over Minelab. At least not yet.
Jerry

the problem with only a solid cover is dirt and twigs fill up in the holes and you have to keep dumping it out.. the 10 inch is a good coil and cant be beat on depth, but I am also finding things that it missed with the smaller ones, especially in iron.. all coil sizes serve a purpose...Jim

heya jerry,
not sure if your aware of it form reading your post, but there is coil plugs made for the 10 inch..check the sunray link.
or if you like your idea, then you could do what i did, and make a solid coil cover..i just took a "for rent" sign (have to get the larger size the 8x11 isn't big enough to cover the 10"), traced the coil cover on it, cut it out, and then used some household "GOOP" to seal the cut out disc to the bottom of the coil cover... for now, this is what i'm doing with my sunray 8 inch, but once they come out with plugs for it also (i hope) i'll get the plugs. as jim says the plugs keep it from filling with mud on the top side, (dirt and twigs are no biggie, a flip of the wrist will send them flying), but sticky mud won't clean as easy.
i would still recommend the plugs.but, if you do try this homemade solid coil cover conversion, then try to pick up a spare coil cover that way you can go from solid to open, by simple change coil covers.
HH, joe

Hi Joe,
It was just a suggestion for the solid cover. I don't need it as most of my hunting is in the desert and I have never had a problem with mud or twigs or that other stuff. The coil cover that came with the detector is fine for me. The problem I have with the coil is that it won't fold back onto the lower rod for more compact storage.
Jerry